Saturday, June 29, 2019

Solemnity of Saints Peter and Paul, Apostles - Reflection

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

You are Peter and upon this rock I will build my Church,
and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it. 

Mt 16:18

Acts 12:1-11, Psalm 34:2-9, 2 Timothy 4:6-8, 17-18,
Matthew 16:13-19



Acts 12:1-11

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

Just like Herod who used his power to please a certain section of the people, so do those in power today use their influence and power to pander to special interest groups. 

When Peter was imprisoned the whole Church prayed fervently with one heart and mind and God sent an angel to rescue him. The Church has the power to change the course of history when her members pray as the people of the early Church did. God intervenes marvelously and awesome miracles happen when we pray as one body.

Lord Jesus, You sent an angel to break the chains that bound Peter and lead him from prison to freedom. Thank You for my own personal Guardian Angel who is always interceding for me before the Throne of Grace and Mercy and protecting me.


Psalm 34:2-9

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

Grant me this grace, to praise and bless You always and in all circumstances, for I know that Your Hand of protection is always over me and over those I love and pray for each day.

Thank You for Your assurance that You always hear and answer us when we cry out to You in our poverty and helplessness. You are mighty to save. 

Thank You for putting an angel in charge of me and for his constant care of me. Thank You for the privilege of tasting Your goodness, Your mercy, and Your great love in the Sacraments.


2 Timothy 4:6-8, 17-18

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

The two great Apostles Peter and Paul are mighty beacons who shine Your powerful light in the Church. As long as we remain in that Light, guided by the Spirit of Truth, we will never go astray.

What a wonderful thing it would be if every baptized Christian could echo Paul at the end of our life and say with complete confidence, I have competed well; I have finished the race; I have kept the faith.

All who are born of God and are children of God receive the same grace of faith in the Sacraments what we do with these gifts is up to us. Paul shows us what is possible when we take the mission given to us seriously and allow ourselves to be guided by the Holy Spirit every step of the way.

Lord Jesus, we thank You for these two powerful witnesses to the faith. Thank You for all that they suffered in imitation of You so that the Gospel could reach the ends of the earth. 


Matthew 16:13-19

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

In response to Your question to the disciples, "But who do you say that I am?" Peter replied, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." This truth was revealed to Peter by the Father and was a sign that he was the rock on whom You would build Your Church.

It is only this Church, the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church that has received Your assurance that the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. 

It is to Peter alone and his successors to whom You have handed the keys of the Kingdom of heaven. Peter and his successors alone are given the authority to bind and loose on earth and whatever they bind and loose will be considered bound and loosed in heaven. No institution other than the Catholic Church has received this divine authority. As long as we remain in her, obey her, and follow her teachings in all matters concerning faith and morals, we will reach that place that God has prepared for us when He laid the foundations of the world.

Beloved Lord, You will keep us safe in Holy Mother Church for eternal life.

No comments:

Post a Comment