Tuesday, March 29, 2011

John 19:10-11, Daniel 3:25, 34-43, Matthew 18:21-35, Psalm 25:4-9

Daily Mass Readings:
Daniel 3:25, 34-43, Matthew 18:21-35, Psalm 25:4-9
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John 19:10-11
"Do you not know that I have power to release you just as I have power to crucify you?” 11 Jesus replied, “You would have no power over me unless it had been given you from above; therefore the one who handed me over to you is more guilty.”

Beloved, it would do good if all leaders and people in power understood that it is God Himself who has ordained that they have power in order to administer justice fairly to both rich and poor alike.  Despots often forget this fact and begin to believe they are gods to their own downfall and utter ruin.  In the end, all have to face the only righteous and just Judge and give an account for their actions.  They will be held responsible for every innocent life that was ruined through false accusations and condemned by corrupt judges.

Daniel 3:34-43
34 Do not abandon us forever, do not reject your covenant for your Name’s sake.
35 Do not withdraw your mercy from us, for the sake of Abraham, your friend, of Isaac, your servant, of Israel, your holy one, 36 to whom you promised to multiply their race as the stars of heaven and the sand on the shore of the sea.
37 Lord, see, we have become the least among the nations in all the world, and we are humiliated because of our sins.
38 At this time, we no longer have a king, or prophet, or leader. We cannot offer you holocausts, sacrifices, offerings, or incense. We have no place to present to you the first-fruits of our crops, and so obtain your favor.
39 But at least when we present ourselves with a contrite soul and humbled spirit may we then be acceptable to you, 40 more than by offerings of rams and calves as holocausts, and of thousands of fat lambs.
May this sacrifice of ours today obtain for us your favor for we know that those who trust in you shall never be disappointed.
41 And now, we serve you with our whole heart, we fear you and we seek your face. 42 Do not leave us in our humiliation, but treat us according to your kindness and your great mercy. 43 Free us in keeping with your wonders, and give us the glory of your Name, Lord.

Lord God, my Beloved, I wish to make this beautiful prayer of Daniel my own..  The many leaders of the world today have abdicated all moral authority and have played in the hands of the corrupt rich and powerful who no longer wish to call sin by its right name.  It seems the world has been abandoned to the forces of evil and darkness that now holds the world in bondage.  All that was once held as true, good, right beautiful and sacred has been buffeted about and sullied by the evil of relativism.  There is no longer the recognition of 'Absolute Truth.'  The unshakable, unchanging, unvarnished, untarnished Truth.  And so I plead with You the prayer of Daniel to have pity on us for the sake of the remnant who are faithful and who love You and look to You as a child to its Father.   Do not abandon Your creatures or Your creation for the sake of Your Holy Name. Amen.

Matthew 18:21-35

Beloved, if You were to judge us as we deserve, all would be condemned.  All of us are sinners and have broken the law of love against You and against our neighbor not once but over and over again.  I shudder when I think of the sins of my past.  If you had called me to judgment while I was still keeping close company with sin, I would have been lost eternally.  But You have  been extremely generous and kind and merciful.  You drew me to Yourself gently, patiently, lovingly, with infinite goodness and mercy.  You did not give up on me.  How do I repay You?  How do I deal with those who are still struggling as I did once?  I have forgotten my own weaknesses and now I hold up a hardhearted scale to measure the faults and mistakes of all and sundry. I mete out harsh and cruel punishment in the courtroom of my mind, where You who are all seeing and all knowing, look on at my hypocrisy in utter amazement.  

Forgive me my Lord and may I always remember that if it were not for Your mercy I would have been only fit to be cast into the outer darkness eternally.  I beg You to give me a heart like Your own.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment