Friday, March 1, 2019

Sirach 6:5-17, Psalm 119:12, 16, 18, 27, 34-35, Mark 10:1-12

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

Your word, O Lord, is truth;
consecrate us in the truth. Jn 17:17B, 17A


Sirach 6:5-17, Psalm 119:12, 16, 18, 27, 34-35,
Mark 10:1-12


Sirach 6:5-17

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

The book of Sirach is a treasure of wise sayings. So much of it is relevant for daily living. In today's First Reading taken from this book, we are reminded how attractive it is to speak kindly and graciously to all. He advises us that is ok to have many acquaintances but our confidant must be just one. He recommends that we test our friendships to see if they can be trusted and he tells us how we can know a true friend.

Finally, he goes on to tell us that a good, true, and loyal friend is a gift and a blessing from God.

A faithful friend is a sturdy shelter;
he who finds one finds a treasure.
A faithful friend is beyond price,
no sum can balance his worth.
A faithful friend is a life-saving remedy,
such as he who fears God finds;
For he who fears God behaves accordingly,
and his friend will be like himself.

Psalm 119:12, 16, 18, 27, 34-35

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

Grant that I may allow Your Holy Spirit free rein in my life. Only in yielding to Him will I be able to obey Your commands. I am weak my Lord, You know this about me even better than I know it about myself. How easily I fall at the first obstacle. I give up so easily at the first hurdle. I lack the will to persevere through the period of testing. But strengthened by Your Holy Spirit and leaning on Him I can, with His help, try to do better.

I love Your Word Beloved, it is a delight to my spirit, yet obeying it is hard. Help me one step at a time and all the way. Do not abandon me but stay and help me to the end. Amen.


Mark 10:1-12

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

We are called to be faithful just as God is faithful. If we train ourselves to be faithful in little things then we will be faithful in greater things. In the Sacrament of Matrimony, we make vows to each other and ask God to witness these vows. We pledge fidelity to one another all the years that God grants us until death separates us.

Your Word is clear. Marriage is for life and adultery is a grave sin. Why? 

Because:  

from the beginning of creation, God made them male and female. For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother
and be joined to his wife,
and the two shall become one flesh.
So they are no longer two but one flesh.
Therefore what God has joined together,


God is faithful and we, His children, are called to image our Father, hence we too are called to be faithful in all our relationships and most especially in marriage. The reason marriage is a Sacrament is that we need grace and when we cooperate with grace the two truly become one flesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment