Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Sirach 2:1-11, Psalm 37:3-4, 18-19, 27-28, 39-40, Mark 9:30-37

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

May I never boast except in the Cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me and I to the world. Gal 6:14
Sirach 2:1-11, Psalm 37:3-4, 18-19, 27-28, 39-40,
Mark 9:30-37


Sirach 2:1-11

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

Every saint has been steadfast in faith when they faced trials. In times of persecution and adversity, they clung to You even more closely. Through their sorrows and affliction, through their tears, their cries to You for help and strength to endure did not cease. You steadied them, You took them by the hand, even when they did not feel Your Presence You were there. You led them through the dark night, through the valley of tears and they believed in faith that although they did not experience Your consoling Presence, You were there.

All these great saints whom we honor today were tested like gold in the furnace and they were purified. 

The writer, Sirach, reminds us to keep hope alive no matter what trials we undergo. We are to have a reverential fear for God and trust in His abounding mercy. Even when faced with great suffering we are to be patient and hope that in the end, You who bear our burdens with us, will ensure our triumph and victory in the end.  

Thank You, Beloved, for hope in You, for peace in You, and for salvation and redemption which is freely available to all who believe in You.



Psalm 37:3-4, 18-19, 27-28, 39-40

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

Grant me this grace that I may always place all my hope in You and in nothing and no one else. I desire that I delight in You alone and You will give me all that I desire which is You.  Help me Lord to rise up with confidence no matter how far I fall, how gravely I sin, because my flesh is weak. 

I believe that You are always watching over me because I am the apple of Your eye. I know that You will keep me safe no matter how savagely the storm rages around me because You are My God and I am Your poor, little sheep who has taken refuge in You and made Your Sacred Heart my resting place.


Mark 9:30-37

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

It is in the nature of the flesh not to desire any pain, or distress to the body or spirit and this is why when You spoke to Your disciples about Your death the could not understand. They had witnessed all the miracles, they saw how You were feted and how the crowds followed You wherever You went. They too tasted the adulation of the crowds because they were Your disciples. They did not want to dwell on suffering and death, they basked in Your reflected glory and they did not want it to end. The preferred not to understand the terrible things You were to endure.

You knew their thoughts and You also knew that they were jockeying for places of prominence as Your disciples. This is when You took them aside and taught them what God esteems and values in human beings. It will do us all good as Your disciples to bear in mind what You said to them that day,

"If anyone wishes to be first,
he shall be the last of all and the servant of all."
Taking a child, he placed it in their midst,
and putting his arms around it, he said to them,
"Whoever receives one child such as this in my name, receives me;
and whoever receives me,
receives not me but the One who sent me."





No comments:

Post a Comment