Sunday, October 21, 2018

Isaiah 53:10-11, Psalm 33:4-5, 18-20, 22, Hebrews 4:14-16, Mark 10:35-45

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

The Son of Man came to serve
and to give his life as a ransom for many. Mk 10:45

Isaiah 53:10-11, Psalm 33:4-5, 18-20, 22,
Hebrews 4:14-16, Mark 10:35-45


Isaiah 53:10-11

My soul, Beloved of my soul,

Like grapes in a winepress, so were crushed by the weight of sins of the world and through Your holy sacrifice on the Cross, You have redeemed the world. The tragedy of those who die refusing to believe is that they lose the only chance of true and lasting joy both in this life and in the next.

Thank You, Beloved, for teaching us how to suffer even to the point of death. Thank You for laying down Your life for us so all who believe can become children of God and heirs to the Kingdom. Thank You for taking upon Yourself the burden of my sins and for making atonement to the Father on my behalf. Thank You for freeing me from my guilt and for drawing me into Your own marvelous light. Thank You for keeping all Your promises.

Psalm 33:4-5, 18-20, 22

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

I thank God, our Father, for giving us a Savior like You who are worthy of all my trust and all my love. Thank You for all the kindnesses that You have shown to me and to all those I love. Thank You for teaching me that to love You means that I must always be on my guard against sin for it is the one thing that will separate us. Thank You for keeping Your eyes always upon me, watching over me, and protecting me. Thank You for teaching me through all the circumstances of my life that I can trust You for You are faithful. Grant that I too remain faithful until my last breath. Amen.
Hebrews 4:14-16

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

While it is true that in becoming Man You understand the human condition, and that You sympathize with our weaknesses, some of which have even developed into addictions in so many, yet, You also have taught us that we can resist temptation. Of course, we cannot do it on our own, but grace is always available to those who ask for it. Grace is poured upon us through the worthy reception of the Sacraments, especially that of Reconciliation when, no matter how far we have fallen into the abyss of sin, we are forgiven and can begin anew. 

Lord Jesus, I beg You, no matter how grave my sins grant me the grace to never be so ashamed that I keep myself away from the Sacrament of Confession. Grant me a true spirit of humility and complete confidence that I can approach You as a child and know that You will always forgive a repentant sinner.
Mark 10:35-45

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

There are some very important lessons we can learn from today's Gospel reading.

Human beings have a natural tendency to push their way to the top. Some do it ruthlessly without caring who is in their path. James and John knew that they belonged to the inner circle and believed that they had a right to be given places of prominence at Your right and left in the Kingdom of God. It was presumptuous. But which of us at some point in our lives has not assumed that we deserved to be given special treatment, received special recognition?  

However, You teach us that the values of the Kingdom are contradictory to the valued of the world. All Christians are called to lay down their lives and drink to the dregs the bitter cup of suffering in imitation of You. The kind of reward we receive is entirely up to God.

The other disciples, when they got wind of the shenanigans of the two, were indignant at their jockeying for power. You took them aside and taught them another contradiction of the Kingdom of God
"Whoever wishes to be great among you will be your servant;
whoever wishes to be first among you will be the slave of all."

 We are called to imitate You in Your life and in Your death just as You remind us today:

"For the Son of Man did not come to be served
but to serve and to give his life as a ransom for many."

As servants, it is our duty to spend our lives in loving service. 

No comments:

Post a Comment