Tuesday, September 11, 2018

1 Corinthians 6:1-11, Psalm 149:1-6 & 9, Luke 6:12-19

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

I chose you from the world,
That you may go and bear fruit that will last, says the Lord. 
Jn 15:16
1 Corinthians 6:1-11, Psalm 149:1-6 & 9, Luke 6:12-19


1 Corinthians 6:1-11

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

St. Paul does not mince words in today's First Reading. We are called to bear with one another even injustice. We must be prepared to be cheated by our Christian brothers and sisters rather than take up the matter in the court with people who do not share our faith. We may take it up among ourselves but, he says it would be even better if we accepted the wrongs done against us. This is hard Beloved. But You never said that the way to the Kingdom was easy.

St. Paul then enumerates the different kinds of sin that shut the gates of heaven to us. 

Do not be deceived;
neither fornicators nor idolaters nor adulterers
nor boy prostitutes nor sodomites nor thieves
nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor robbers
will inherit the Kingdom of God.

That is what some of you used to be;
but now you have had yourselves washed, you were sanctified,
you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ
and in the Spirit of our God.

The world may go blue in the face and collapse before it agrees with Your Word - but it is unchanging. It is the same yesterday, today, and forever.
 Psalm 149:1-6 & 9

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

I know that You will hide me in Your shadow and keep me safe from my own terrible weaknesses because I ask it for I know full well that I cannot help myself. In Your great pity for me will move Your tender Heart to be my refuge, my protector, my rock, my hiding place.

Grant O Lord my God that I may forever sing Your praises in the company of Your people. May I fellowship with those who believe all my days and find friendship and strength among those who believe in You and hope in Your love. May I be faithful to the Church You founded and may I do nothing that will weaken her members. Rather, Beloved, grant that I may in my own little way help to build her up rather than tear her down. Amen.
Luke 6:12-19

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

If we desire to please God our Father then we must learn to emulate You. Prayer is our lifeline to God and without it, we will weaken and perish.

Physical exhaustion was not a deterrent to keep You away from prayer. This union with Your Father was absolutely essential to Your Ministry. You did nothing without discerning His will in all things and then You did exactly as He desired.

It was He who revealed to You the 12 that You had to choose to be Your closest companion. Every one of them would fail You at Your hour of greatest need and this does not scandalize us, rather it comforts us. They who knew You best failed You and we need not be discouraged when we do, for You are aware that we are sinners in need of grace. 

All fled. Peter denied You not once but three times and Judas Iscariot could not bear the shame of having betrayed Innocent Blood. He despaired instead of repenting and thus damned himself.

Let us never forget that even at the highest level of authority within the Church they are in the end only flesh and blood. They are weak and they are sinners. Yet You share Your priestly ministry with them and You will deal with them in Your own time and in Your own way for this is Your Church, not their plaything.

But to all of us who come to You wounded, broken, scandalized, lost, angry, sad, You will touch us through Your faithful ministers and You will bring healing and wholeness again. Your power is above all, You who have triumphed and victory is ours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment