Tuesday, September 18, 2018

1 Corinthians 12:12-14, 27-31A, Psalm 100:1-5, Luke 7:11-17

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

A great prophet has arisen in our midst
and God has visited his people. Lk 7:16



1 Corinthians 12:12-14, 27-31A, Psalm 100:1-5, 
Luke 7:11-17


1 Corinthians 12:12-14, 27-31A

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

All who are baptized into Your Body no matter who we may be, become members of the One Body of Christ. You are the Head we the members each having different functions. St. Paul reminds us that the Church is hierarchical in nature beginning with the Apostles and we have all a different role to play in building up Your Body, the Church.

All have been given different gifts and they are not to be sought for self-glory but used in the service of the Church and more than that he says that we must strive eagerly to seek these gifts in order to build the Body of Christ. 

Psalm 100:1-5

My Love, I belong to You and to Your Church. I am counted as the sheep of Your flock. I am Yours and You are my God and my Lord. The knowledge of this truth must cause me to sing joyfully in all the circumstances of my life.

I have been marked for the Kingdom of heaven. You watch over me tenderly just as You watch over all whom the Father has entrusted to Your care. Grant my Beloved that there will always be a song of praise on my lips and thanksgiving in my heart for all the many blessings that You have showered on me on those I love. Thank You Beloved for Your great goodness, kindness, mercy, and above all Your everlasting, faithful love.
Luke 7:11-17

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

We are told that not only were Your disciples with You but a large crowd accompanied You and they all witnessed this astounding miracle. This miracle reveals to us the heart of our awesome God.

What were Your thoughts Beloved, when You saw this grief-stricken widow who had lost her only son? Did You think of the grief Your own Mama would suffer when the time came for You to die? Here was one mother whose suffering You could turn to joy and that is exactly what You did.

The Gospel writer says that You were moved to pity for her and consoled her saying, "Do not weep." Then You touched the coffin, the pallbearers halted and addressing the corpse You commanded, "Young man, I tell you arise!" He sat up, began to speak and You gave him to his mother.

Not much is said Beloved but there is so much that can be understood from this vivid scene painted by Luke, the evangelist.

We now look at the reaction of the crowd. 

Fear seized them all, and they glorified God, exclaiming,
"A great prophet has arisen in our midst,"
and "God has visited his people."
This report about him spread through the whole of Judea
and in all the surrounding region.

The whole of Israel ought to have believed that You were God after they witnessed this miracle for only God has power over life and death. Sadly, it was not so. 

People kept demanding for miracles and they were never enough. Even when You were nailed on the Cross they demanded that You come down from it and they would believe.  No miracle will ever be enough for those who do not have faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment