Wednesday, January 17, 2018

1 Samuel 17:32-33, 37.40-51, Psalm 144:1-2, 9-10, Mark 3:1-6

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

Jesus preached the Gospel of the Kingdom
and cured every disease among the people. Mt 4:23


1 Samuel 17:32-33, 37.40-51, Psalm 144:1-2, 9-10, Mark 3:1-6 

1 Samuel 17:32-33, 37.40-51

Dear Love, Beloved of my soul,

Those lacking faith underestimate the confidence and courage of those that do. David was unafraid for he knew that God was with him and would deliver him. The size and strength of Goliath in comparison with him was a non issue. It did not matter for God would be fighting the battle for him. All he needed was his faith and God would do the rest.

This is how we are called to face difficult situations in our life. We must believe that it is You who battle on our behalf all we need to do is keep our gaze on You and trust You implicitly. You are God and with You all things are possible and David demonstrated so powerfully.

Our enemies may mock us as Goliath mocked David but we must let nothing shake us or undermine our faith. All David needed was his sling and the smooth pebbles in his pouch. All we need is a simple, confident, unswerving faith. It took only one attempt to fell the giant and bring him to the ground. God can and will do the impossible in every instance. God's victory is thorough and complete. He is invincible.

Psalm 144:1-2, 9-10

Dear Love, Beloved of my soul,

You are my Rock, my Fortress, my Deliverer, with You I am more than a conqueror for You are with me, Your strength is mine. You are the one who does battle on my behalf for I have put my hope and trust in You and I know that with You at my side no harm can come to be. The Enemy is routed and I am set free from all that would otherwise snare me and keep me bound and enslaved. Thank You Beloved for setting me free. Thank You for the victory that You have won for me. Grant that I may sing of Your goodness, kindness, mercy and love all the days of my life. Stay with me Beloved and I will be safe.

Mark 3:1-6 

Dear Love, Beloved of my soul,

Today we see that nothing has really changed what was in the past continues to this day. The evil band together to ensure that the poor are marginalized, outcasts, robbed of their dignity and their rights. It is only by keeping the poor muzzled and in chains that the rich and powerful can take advantage of them. Today You demonstrate the hearts and minds of evil men as we read in the Gospel. The man with the withered hand had come to the synagogue on the Sabbath and the Pharisees knew that You would heal him. You knew their evil thoughts but You did not hesitate from doing what was right despite the consequences. Those who were opposed to You hated You with a hatred that conceived murder in their hearts. Only Your death and the spilling of Your Blood would satisfy them. They sought to get rid of You because they saw You as a threat to the status quo where they lorded it over the rest. 

You did not care for political correctness, even though it was the Sabbath You looked with mercy and compassion on the poor man who needed healing, who needed to be made whole and so You called him and before the entire assembly, You addressed the very people who were seeking to find fault with You and said, "Is it lawful to do good on the Sabbath rather than to do evil, to save life rather than to destroy it?" They knew they would condemn themselves if they answered and so they chose to be silent. They lacked the courage to take a stand for the truth and their stubborn, hard hearts grieved You. Turning to the man You said, "Stretch out your hand."
He stretched it out and his hand was restored. The passage ends with the words, "The Pharisees went out and immediately took counsel with the Herodians against him to put him to death." The wicked seek out others who are wicked in order to carry out their evil deeds.
How often do I grieve You Beloved? Forgive me for the many times I too am silent refusing to commit to the truth. Have mercy on me Lord and grant me grace to always acknowledge the truth no matter what the cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment