Friday, January 19, 2018

1 Samuel 18:6-9; 19:1-7, Psalm 56:2-3, 9-13, Mark 3:7-12

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

Our Savior Jesus Christ has destroyed death
and brought life to light through the Gospel. 2Tm 1:10


1 Samuel 18:6-9; 19:1-7, Psalm 56:2-3, 9-13, 
Mark 3:7-12


1 Samuel 18:6-9; 19:1-7

Dear Love, Beloved of my soul,

Too often like Saul we become envious of others and this tempts us to sin against them. It was true that David won a great victory in destroying Goliath and the Philistines but Saul was jealous when the women sang joyful songs of victory praising David. We too on occasion are resentful of the successes of others. Forgive me Beloved for the many times I too have been envious of others. Give me a generous spirit so that I may recognize and praise the successes of others. 

Jonathan was a true friend to David. He was willing to go against his father who was seeking to destroy David and he interceded on his behalf. Help me not to be afraid to speak up in defense of those who are unable to plead for themselves. May I always seek to heal and reconcile rather than tear down and destroy.

Psalm 56:2-3, 9-13

Dear Love, Beloved of my soul,

In You I trust and if I trust You then I need fear nothing and no one. With You doing battle on my behalf I am invincible. Who can stand against me and prevail when You are at my side? Too often Beloved, my enemy is myself, my flesh, my sinful, evil inclinations, my propensity to sin and self-indulgence. I need Your help, Your strength, Your Spirit to overcome. 

Thank You for Your assurance that You hear every sigh and that You collect my tears. Give me a genuine sorrow for sin. Grant that I may weep over my frailty and beg for Your help for on my own I can do nothing. I trust in You Beloved, I shall not fail, for I have Your assurance that You are with me. Your Spirit is in me and greater is He who is in me that he who is in the world.

Mark 3:7-12

Dear Love, Beloved of my soul,

Unclean spirit know and recognize You, and even fall before You shouting, "You are Son of God." People came from everywhere for they had heard of You. The thronged around You, pressed against You, flocked in numbers so great that there was a danger of them crushing You. 

You asked the disciples to keep a boat ready for You because of the large number of people who could barely be contained. The boat is a symbol of the Church You founded. Our churches are empty in most parts of the world. Only a few old people can be found in the pews. The Day of the Lord is not honored although it is a day of obligation and we are as Catholics required to attend Holy Mass at least once a week on Sunday. 

The world has turned its back on You and has made idols of men and women. People who are ignorant of God and His Law of Love are preaching a gospel of the worship of self and material possessions. How far we have strayed from the truth Beloved and yet we wring our hands and moan when we find that there is no joy in our hearts only darkness and emptiness. We try to fill the emptiness within with the things of the world, with the cravings of our body, with images of false gods and nothing satisfies. 

It is those who believe who have failed. Had we a bold conviction of our faith in You then we would have a fire in our soul, and a raging desire within us to set the world on fire with love for You. But we are too caught up with our own narrow needs. Have mercy on us O Lord and set us who profess to believe on fire anew with the zeal of the Holy Spirit that we in turn may draw people back to You.

No comments:

Post a Comment