Tuesday, September 19, 2017

1 Timothy 3:1-13, Psalm 101:1-3, 5-6, Luke 7:11-17

Daily Holy Mass Readings

A great prophet has arisen in our midst
and God has visited his people. Lk 7:16


1 Timothy 3:1-13, Psalm 101:1-3, 5-6, Luke 7:11-17

1 Timothy 3:1-13

Dear Love, Beloved of my soul,

All who are baptized are called to be witnesses to Your love and to the Good News. The faithful are members of Your Body and although St. Paul says that those who wish to serve You as bishops or priests must have an irreproachable character the same holds true for all of us who acknowledge You as Lord and Savior. 

I must not be lewd, licentious, given to sinful habits, loud, boastful, unable to control those who are entrusted to my care. I must show character and dignity in every situation aware always that I am called to bear witness to You always and in all circumstances. And above all I must be gentle, kind, merciful, forgiving, understanding, patient, and above reproach. Those who see me must see You always reflected in me.

Psalm 101:1-3, 5-6

Dear Love, Beloved of my soul,

The psalmist also reminds me of the kind of person I am called to be as a Christian, called by Your Name. I must strive always to walk the way that leads to Life. You have given me an example of how to live in the world - to be in the world yet not of it. Your eyes are upon me always. You provide the grace I need to choose to walk in Your Light. You have withheld nothing good from me but have poured upon me grace upon grace in the Sacraments. 

Grant me Beloved, the will I need, the discipline I need, to choose always what is right, good, and fitting for a daughter of the Most High God.

Luke 7:11-17

Dear Love, Beloved of my soul,

You are the Lord of life, You are the Giver of Life, You are God, You are the Son of God, You are our Savior, our Redeemer, the Messiah. You are the hope of the world. You came into the world in accord with the Father's will. You came to reveal the nature of the God of Abraham, of Isaac, of Jacob - Love. 

Love became incarnate of the Virgin Mary, Love became flesh and dwelt among us. Love wept, Love understood our pain, Love understood the widow's grief, bereft of her only son taken in death. Love saw His own Mother's grief when she stood at the foot of the Cross. She would be inconsolable. She would have to wait for the Resurrection. But the widow's grief Love could alleviate and Love did.  

Love said tenderly to the weeping widow, "Do not cry." And then Love gave life back to the young man and restored him to his mother.

Thank You Beloved, for understanding. Thank You for becoming Love incarnate. Thank You for telling me in Your Word today, "I love you." 

No comments:

Post a Comment