Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Genesis 6:5-8; 7:1-5, 10, Psalm 29:1-4, 9-10, Mark 18:14-21

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS



Whoever loves me will keep my word, says the Lord;
and my Father will love him
and we will come to him. Jn 14:23


Genesis 6:5-8; 7:1-5, 10, Psalm 29:1-4, 9-10, Mark 18:14-21


Genesis 6:5-8; 7:1-5, 10

My soul's beloved, I think that one of the saddest lines in Scripture is this, "He regretted that he had made man on the earth, and his heart was grieved." We deserved to be annihilated from the earth and yet God stayed His hand that could have just swept us all away and that would have been the end of it. We would no longer be able to defy Him, disobey Him, scorn Him, ignore His purpose for creating us and wallow in licentiousness. But God is love and so He chose Noah, a man who found favor with God, and through him and his family God started over. Thank You Father for giving us opportunities over and over again to begin anew for we fail and fall short constantly.

Psalm 29:1-4, 9-10

My soul's beloved, all that we are required to do is to give God the glory that is due to Him. He who created us, He who has blessed us, He who has sent His only beloved Son to die for us in order to redeem us, this God deserves our continuous and unending praise, love, and gratitude. Yet, all we give Him is indifference, we offer Him a lukewarm devotion, we depend on our feelings to give Him the glory and honor that is due to Him. If only we could see You as You really are enthroned in the highest heavens with the glory of God illuminating You with the light of a thousand suns, we could not bear it. Forgive me my Jesus for the times when I too have been indifferent and lukewarm. Help me never to stop striving to offer You the love You truly deserve even though I will fail constantly for I do love and adore You.

Mark 18:14-21

My soul's beloved, it is easy to ridicule the disciples for failing to grasp who You were despite the many miracles they witnessed. They can be forgiven for they did not know then what we know now. We have it all before us and yet we too fail to grasp who You are when we take You for granted, or act overly familiar with You forgetting that You are the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords. Enthroned in glory and majesty above the heavens.

The disciples witnessed both the miracles of the multiplication of the loaves and they themselves collected the leftovers in both instances and yet their understanding was so narrow, so unimaginative, that they believed that You were speaking of bread and the lack of it when they were in the Presence of God. I am no better my Lord. Forgive me for the many times when I have shown a marked stupidity in comprehending who You really are and the complete authority You have over all things which includes the speck that is me.

No comments:

Post a Comment