Tuesday, June 7, 2016

1Kings 17:7-16, Psalm 4:2-5, 7-8, Matthew 5:13-16

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

1Kings 17:7-16, Psalm 4:2-5, 7-8, Matthew 5:13-16

1Kings 17:7-16

My soul’s beloved, when God commands us to do something we must obey, we must do exactly what the Lord asks of us. God made provision for the prophet Elijah during the time of drought and the one who was chosen to supply his need for food came from an unexpected source. The widow of Zarephath had nothing yet, prompted by God through the words of the prophet, she shared the little that she had and God in His providence supplied all she needed for as long as the famine lasted.

In the most difficult and trying circumstances, if we put all our hope and trust in You we will discover that our faith has been rightly placed in You for You are a great God and You supply all our needs according to Your great goodness and love. Not in measure but pressed down, shaken together and running over.

Psalm 4:2-5, 7-8

My soul’s beloved, every time I called You answered me. You reached out when I was drowning and You drew me out of the pit and saved me. Your tender compassion and love have given me hope and courage because You my God have always been with me. You have been exceedingly kind to me even when I did not deserve it yet You reached out to me and filled me with everything good. You satisfied my hunger and my thirst with food that does not perish. Nothing the world has to offer can satisfy as You do. Possessing You I possess all things.

Matthew 5:13-16

My soul’s beloved, we are called to be like You because we are grafted into Your body. Your life flows through us and we are called to bear good fruit. You are the vine and we are the branches and as long as we are attached to the vine and the life of the Spirit is the sap that flows through us and enables us to be fruitful. Today You liken us as the salt of the earth and bearers of Your light in the world. We have a mission to carry out. We are to be the flavor of Christ in a world jaded by sin. Your light that illumines us must be held aloft, bravely no matter how difficult the circumstance, so those who walk in darkness may be drawn to it and will walk in the light of its truth. However, if we allow fear of persecution to hide our light then many who could have been saved will be lost because we lacked courage.

Grant O Lord that just as the prophet Elijah was obedient I too may be obedient and go where You send me. Grant that I may be like the widow of Zarephath who had nothing, but prompted by God she shared the little she had and was blessed abundantly for You always supply all our needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment