Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Jeremiah 18:18-20, Psalm 31:5-6, 14, 15-16, Matthew 20:17-28

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

Jeremiah 18:18-20, Psalm 31:5-6, 14, 15-16, Matthew 20:17-28 

Jeremiah 18:18-20

My Beloved, the world has always hated those who held a mirror to their wickedness. The good have always been persecuted. Those who fear God and constantly warn people of that their sins will lead to their eternal destruction are never popular. This is why You cautioned us saying that if the world hates us to remember that it hated You first and if they try to kill us they tried to kill you too and succeeded. Let us rejoice then if we are counted worthy to suffer for Your sake and for the sake of the Good News.

Psalm 31:5-6, 14-16

Save me my Beloved, for I am weak and I stumble at the smallest temptation. Keep me from being snared by the traps set for me. Hide me Lord, let me take refuge in Your Sacred Heart. I give You Lordsiip over my whole being. Save me from myself. Shut my ears to the clamor of my senses; grant me the grace to master my will. You are God and I trust in You to come to my help and save me.

Matthew 20:17-28

My Beloved, so often I am as obtuse as the Apostles were. I am so caught up in my own selfishness that I fail to pay attention to what people are saying. I am oblivious of their needs. In these verses You are revealing to the Twelve the reason why You are going to Jerusalem and what awaits You there. You know exactly what is about to take place and You speak bluntly about the abominable horrors that are to be inflicted upon Your Sacred Person. You will be handed over to evil and be condemned to die. Gentiles will then take over to begin what the Chosen people had begun so there will be blood on the hands of all those in authority on both sides Jews and Gentiles who will conspire together to commit Deicide. One can only imagine Your own troubled thoughts as You list the unspeakable tortures that are to come ending with the awesome promise that You will rise again on the third day.

The mother of James and John comes and kneels before You to ask a favor on behalf of her sons. Did they put her up to it or did she come of her own accord? As all mothers she wants the best for her children sometimes selfishly without too much thought about anyone else. You ask that they be seated at Your right and left in the Kingdom of Heaven. You tell her that these positions are not Yours to allot but You Father will decide who will be seated beside You. They will however have to share in Your suffering.

When the others heard that the two were lobbying for important positions they were angry. You then teach an important lesson for life.

“You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them,
and the great ones make their authority over them felt.
But it shall not be so among you.
Rather, whoever wishes to be great among you shall be your servant;
whoever wishes to be first among you shall be your slave.
Just so, the Son of Man did not come to be served but to serve
and to give his life as a ransom for many.”


It would do us well to remember that the Kingdom of God belongs to the little ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment