Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Isaiah 1:10, 16-20, Psalm 50:8-9, 16bc-17, 21 and 23, Matthew 23:1-12

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS
 

Isaiah 1:10, 16-20, Psalm 50:8-9, 16bc-17, 21 and 23, Matthew 23:1-12
 

Isaiah 1:10, 16-20

My Beloved, Lord and my God, today You remind me once more that it is not enough just to hear Your Word but I must listen attentively and heed Your instructions. Repentance and metanoia are at the heart of the You message today. You invite me to wash my sins away and cease to do the things that distance me from You who are my only good. I must be sensitive to the cries of those less fortunate than I. A willingness to obey You in all things disposes me to receive all the good things that You desire to give me. But hardness of heart, resistance to Your call and a refusal to obey will surely lead to eternal death. As long as today lasts my Lord let me take refuge in You. 


Psalm 50:8-9, 16bc-17, 21, 23 

  My Beloved, if I am to be counted among those who are saved then I must be willing to be disciplined when I choose to evil rather than good. When You make my sins known to me help me not to deny them but to confess them and accept the correction I deserve. A good father disciplines his children, leads them on the path of righteousness and encourages them to do good. Those who obey He will bless and save.

Matthew 23:1-12

  My Beloved Jesus, to be honest I must admit that I like being acknowledged, being singled out and praised. I like being patted on the back and hearing the words, “Well done!” In fact I am often disappointed when I hear nothing after I have taken pains to do what was asked of me. I like being noticed and like a child I revel in the nice things that people say of me. But the truth is my Lord that I am flawed, weak, sinful, prideful, self-righteous on occasion, critical most of the time and hideously aware of everyone else’s missteps which are often understandable. What may be acceptable in others due to ignorance is unacceptable in myself because I know better and therefore in me is inexcusable. 

When You point out the Pharisees and the teachers of the Law and warn Your hearers to do as they say not as they do it is indeed sad because when we are placed in positions of responsibility we are called to be vigilant always so we do not lead anyone astray by the bad example we give to those who look up to us. “Let the greatest among you be the servant of all. For whoever makes himself great shall be humbled, and whoever humbles himself shall be made great.” As often in Your teachings, here too we have a clear contradiction from worldly wisdom which considers the sin of pride a virtue. Jesus meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Your Own. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment