Monday, February 22, 2016

1 Peter 5:1-4, Psalm 23:1-3a, 4 – 6, Matthew 16:13-19

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

Feast of the Chair of Saint Peter, Apostle

1 Peter 5:1-4, Psalm 23:1-3a, 4 – 6, Matthew 16:13-19
  1 Peter 5:1-4 My Beloved, although St. Peter is addressing these words to the Bishops and to the priests it is also meant for me for through my baptism I have been anointed as priest, prophet and king. In as much as I am a catechist I am called to look after the souls of my little charges with love and gentleness, with mercy and tenderness. I am called to deal with my peers in the same way. We all have the same mission and we are all called to this mission by You. I am called to be an example by the life I lead which must at all times be Christlike.

Psalm 23:1-3a, 4 – 6

My Beloved, I can stay on the first line of this Psalm forever and draw from it hope, trust, faith, strength and courage and an abiding assurance of Your love. “The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want.” In fact, I have experienced all of the above at a time when there was no one on earth who could help me. I turned to You from whom we receive all help. I prayed this verse night and day and was able to go through that trying time only because of the confidence I drew from it and I did not pray in vain. You moved mountains, you blinded the eyes of those who would have been a stumbling block until it was too late to do anything. My faith was increased and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that in the end all things work for good for those who love You. My good Shepherd, my Lord and my God. 


Matthew 16:13-19
  My Beloved, when St. Peter made the bold proclamation to Your question addressed to the disciples, “But who do you say that I am?” You knew that Peter was Your Father’s choice on which You were to build Your Church. All the Apostles and the disciples heard and saw all that St. Peter did and yet to him alone was given the divine revelation of Your identity. “You are the Christ, The Son of the living God.” It was at this precise moment when once again, acting in perfect concert, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit together made the appointment of Peter as the visible head of Your Church. The words were uttered by the Eternal Word, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah. For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father. And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys to the Kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.” We do not go against the will and wish of God, we do not quibble about the primacy of Peter, we do not set up our human wisdom against divine Wisdom. God appointed, the Holy Spirit revealed, the proclamation was made and You uttered the words and as You said it, so it is. Where Peter is, there is Your Church and we will have Peter as long as we have Your Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment