Tuesday, June 17, 2014

1 Kings 21:17-29, Psalm 51:3-6, 11 & 16, Matthew 5:43-48

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

1 Kings 21:17-29, Psalm 51:3-6, 11 & 16, Matthew 5:43-48


1 Kings 21:17-29

My Beloved, You command us to love You with our whole heart, our whole mind, our whole body and our whole spirit.  This is why You created us - for the purpose of loving You above and before all and each other as ourselves.  When we do as You command, we live meaningful lives and we give God glory and honor.

King Ahab and his wife Jezebel encouraged God's people to sin by introducing every kind of immorality and by their own wicked example.  We live in a skewered world today as well where evil is deemed good and natural, by flouting both the natural and divine laws we call upon ourselves Your terrible wrath.  There is no anger as severe as the just anger of God.  But there is a remedy and Ahab applied this remedy thus staying the hand of God's righteous justice and instead through true repentance and a firm resolution to make amends, in sackcloth and ashes he humbled himself before God and the God of tender mercy love and compassion took pity on him and withheld the punishment that he deserved.

A humble contrite heart my Beloved You will never spurn instead You will forgive and restore us to friendship with Yourself once more.

Psalm 51:3-6, 11 & 16

3 Have mercy on me, O God, in your love.
In your great compassion blot out my sin.
4 Wash me thoroughly of my guilt;
cleanse me of evil.
5 For I acknowledge my wrongdoings
and have my sins ever in mind.
6 Against you alone have I sinned;
what is evil in your sight I have done.
11 Turn your face away from my sins
and blot out all my offenses.


Matthew 5:43-48

My Beloved, You have established a new order of living.  What was said in the past has given way to the Gospel of Love.  We who are Your followers are called to live as light and salt in the world.  By loving our enemies, persecutors and detractors, we heap coals of fire on their head as we witness to the world that we are children of God.  He is our Father and we trust Him to care for us and protect us.  

Justice belongs to God alone because only God who knows all can judge with fairness.  It is easy to love those that are like minded but to love those who oppose us is not easy.  Yet You never said that following You would be easy, rather You promised a narrow, rough, hard road, but we have Your assurance that the Yoke will be easy and the burden light for You my Beloved are yoked to us.

I am called to be righteous, perfect and holy in imitation of my Daddy God, my Abba, nothing less is acceptable.  Thank You for grace channeled through Your Church and received through the sacraments that makes it possible for us to be holy.

No comments:

Post a Comment