Saturday, June 14, 2014

1 Kings 19:19-21, Psalm 16: 1, 5, 7-10, Matthew 5:33-37

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

1 Kings 19:19-21, Psalm 16: 1, 5, 7-10, Matthew 5:33-37

“Let Your Yes Be Yes and Your No Be No”

1 Kings 19:19-21

My Beloved, when You call us we must leave everything behind and without a backward glance, follow You.  This was the response of the Apostles James, John, Peter, Andrew and Matthew.  

Elijah called Elisha but he wanted to say goodbye to his parents, a natural desire and yet it indicated hesitation.  Elisha was wise enough to understand that if he did not follow Elijah quickly, obediently and generously, he would lose the opportunity of serving the Lord God as he was clearly being invited to.  He was also wise enough to burn the yoke and oxen as well so he would not be tempted to return to his former way of life but would serve the Lord without reserve.

When God calls us we must respond as the Apostles and Elisha did.  If we believe that there is anything that would hinder us and tempt us to return we must destroy it at its source so we will never be beguiled by it at any point in the future.  We must make no provision whatsoever that could set us up to fail at any point in our mission and will tempt us to go back on our word to God.
Psalm 16: 1, 5, 7-10


My Beloved, I thank You for Your promises that are renewed every morning.  You keep me safe.  I take refuge in You for You are my Protector.  You are my portion and my delight. You keep me from the snares of the devil and from the wiles of the enemy.  My life is safe for it is rooted in You.  You are always with me, even when I sleep Your Name keeps me close to You.  

With You at my side I shall not stray from the path of righteousness.  I rejoice night and day, asleep or awake because I know that my soul will one day live with You.  It will not know know death or decay but will live  in the company of the angels and saints glorifying You eternally.
Matthew 5:33-37


We ought not to make oaths lightly to assure people that we are telling the truth. When we take God's Name in vain and swear over trivial issues we are guilty of dishonoring God the almighty, all powerful, transcendent, omnipotent God.  We must be innocent, truthful and childlike always so when we say yes or no everyone will know that we speak the truth.  We cannot drag God down to our level over inane issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment