Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Joel 2:12-18, Psalm 51:3-6, 12-14 & 17, 2 Corinthians 5:20-6:2, Matthew 6:1-6, 16-18

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS



Joel 2:12-18, Psalm 51:3-6, 12-14 & 17, 2 Corinthians 5:20-6:2, Matthew 6:1-6, 16-18


Joel 2:12-18


For one short season in the year I am called to practice self-abnegation what is my attitude? Will I give up the desires of the flesh in order to be strengthened in spirit?  How deep or shallow are my Lenten exercises? Will they be pleasing in Your sight my Beloved or will they be pleasing in my sight - a smokescreen behind which nothing has really changed?  Am I fasting to keep up appearances before men or to humble myself before You my Lord and my God? If I desire to be Your disciple then I must heed Your challenge to pick up my cross daily and follow You.

Psalm 51:3-6, 12-14 & 17

My Beloved, merciful and compassionate God, have pity on me and help me during this season of Lent to walk in the Light of Your Word.  We know I am a sinner my Lord, help me to overcome sin, wash me in Your saving Blood and cleanse me from the stain of my sins.  Keep me close to You Lord and if I stumble You will reach out and Your hand will prevent me falling from grace.  Give me the joy that comes from belonging to Your sheepfold.

2 Corinthians 5:20-6:2

My Beloved, once again the Church reminds me that this is the acceptable time, the time for salvation is here and now.  Keep me close to Mother Church so I may be guided by her and reconciled to You my God and to my neighbor.  Open my ears that I may hear Your voice and obey in this lies my joy.

Matthew 6:1-6, 16-18

Thank You for this warning my Beloved.  In very subtle ways I preen with self-righteousness before people.  I do not fool You although I might in my stupidity think I do.  The admiration and flattery of people taken in my by false piety is as ephemeral as the mist in the sun.  Teach me true humility.  Teach me to desire only to follow You in everything and pleasing You receive Your blessings on me and those I love and  pray for each day.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment