DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS
FEAST OF ST. AGNES - VIRGIN & MARTYR
1 Samuel 16:1-13, Psalm 89:20-22, 27-28, Mark 2:23-28
1 Samuel 16:1-13
My Beloved there are many things that You reveal in these verses.
- We are not to lock ourselves and grieve over the past but we must always be ready and alert to hear what You desire us to do next. Putting past failures behind us we must look to You with hope and expectant faith.
- We must be unafraid when we are doing Your work in obedience to Your call. We must be have confidence in You knowing that You will reveal to us what needs to be done. We must take time to listen to what You have to say and how You desire us to act in any given situation.
- We cannot offer You a sacrifice pleasing to You if we approach You with unclean hearts; this is why the Church invites us in the Penitential Rite of the Liturgy to ask for forgiveness and pardon for our sins, only then will our sacrifice be pleasing and acceptable to God.
- You remind us that You do not judge as man judges by outward appearances, rather You look at the person's heart. We are called to do the same.
- God's choice must be our choice as well, in this is wisdom. We must not rest until we discern God's will and then we must act on it.
- Once we have acted in accordance with the will of God blessings will surely follow.
Psalm 89:20-22, 27-28
My Beloved, the kingship of David and his reign over Your people was a foreshadow of Your own rule and Kingship over all nations. You are the Chosen One, the Anointed, the Christ, the Light of the Word, the One who redeems all. God has given You the Crown, the Shepherd's Crook and the Scepter. To You is given all glory, power, honor and authority. Your Kingdom is an everlasting Kingdom and Your rule is eternal. You are the Firstborn of all who through the waters of baptism have become the adopted children of the Most High God. You are our God, our Rock, our Redeemer, our Hope, our Peace, our Love and our Life. You are the Light that illumines the world, we no longer walk alone in the dark. Your Light has made the darkness flee and the terrors of the night are no more.
My Beloved, sometimes we become rigid and hidebound by rules and regulations. We become obsessed with theories and get caught up in man made traditions, laws and customs and we forget to see what is most important - the person who is need of our compassion, understanding and charity. There are times when we must cast aside all the externals that we stubbornly cling to and get down on our knees and serve.