Thursday, October 6, 2011

Malachi 3:13-20, Luke 11:5-13, Psalm 1:1-3, 6

Daily Mass Readings:  Malachi 3:13-20, Luke 11:5-13, Psalm 1:1-3, 6

Malachi 3:13-20

13 You say very harsh things about me, says Yahweh, and yet you say: “What harsh things did we say against you?” 14 You say: “It is useless to serve God. There is no benefit in observing his commandments or in leading an austere life for his sake. Happy are the shameless! 15 Those who do evil succeed in everything; though they provoke God, they re­main unharmed.”
16 Those were the very words of those who fear Yahweh. Yahweh listened and heard what they said. He ordered at once that the names of those who respect him and reverence his Name be written in a record.
17 And he declared, “They will be mine on the day I have already set. Then I shall care for them as a father cares for his obedient son. 18 And you will see the different fates of the good and the bad, those who obey God and those who disobey him.

My Beloved, If I truly belong to You then I will not be like those who say they are Yours but grumble because seemingly the wicked live prosperous lives.  They become disgruntled as they wonder if living an honorable life is desirable.  But You know the hearts of all.  You are a just and loving God and all will be judged by You who are righteous.  Those who have been faithful will be received by You into the Kingdom.

Luke 11:5-13
Jesus said to them, “Sup­pose one of you has a friend and goes to his house in the middle of the night and says: ‘Friend, lend me three loaves, for a friend of mine who is traveling has just arrived and I have nothing to offer him.’ Maybe your friend will answer from inside: ‘Don’t bother me now; the door is locked and my children and I are in bed, so I can’t get up and give you anything.’ But I tell you, even though he will not get up and attend to you because you are a friend, yet he will get up because you are a bother to him, and he will give you all you need.
And so I say to you, ‘Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and it will be opened to you. 10 For the one who asks receives, and the one who searches finds, and to him who knocks the door will be opened.
11 If your child asks for a fish, will you give a snake instead? 12 And if your child asks for an egg, will you give a scorpion? 13 Even you evil people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more then will the Father in heaven give holy spirit to those who ask him!”

In the Gospel of Luke today You teach me to pray not only with expectant faith but with persistence as well.   You reveal the goodness and generosity of the Father who loves His children better than any earthly father could and delights in giving us everything we need for our salvation.  Did He not send You Beloved to be the means through which we are all saved despite what it cost both Him and You? 

Anyone who thirsts for Your Holy Spirit will receive Him if we ask the Father for Him in Your Name.  Grant me Abba Father, Daddy God, a full measure of the Holy Spirit - You know that without Him I could never please You and I desire to please You always.  Hear the prayer I make in Jesus' Name, Amen.


Psalm 1:1-3, 6

Blessed is the one
who does not go where the wicked gather,
or stand in the way of sinners,
or sit where the scoffers sit!
Instead, he finds delight in the law of the Lord
and meditates day and night
on his commandments.
He is like a tree beside a brook
producing its fruit in due season,
its leaves never withering.
Everything he does is a success.
For the Lord knows the way of the righteous
but cuts off the way of the wick­ed.

If I belong to You as the Psalmist says, I will meditate joyfully on Your goodness all day long and even at night, then, will I be like a tree that grows beside the Living Streams.  I will put my roots deep in You and with You as my firm foundation, and with the Sap of the Holy Spirit through whom I draw life, I will not wither and I will produce the fruit that You desire. 

No comments:

Post a Comment