Monday, October 3, 2011

Jonah 1:1----- 2:1-2, 11, Luke 10:25-37, Jonah 2:3-5, 8

Daily Mass Readings:  Jonah 1:1----- 2:1-2, 11, Luke 10:25-37, 
                                      Jonah 2:3-5, 8

Jonah 1:1----- 2:1-2, 11

My Beloved, I am like Jonah, running away from Your commandment to love.  As long as I do not obey You I will experience a raging storm and my inner peace will be destroyed.  It is truly a terrible thing to flee in the opposite direction instead of yielding to You in obedience.  Pick me up and throw me into the ocean of Your mercy and compassion and grant me the grace and strength I need.  Calm my soul with Your Presence and help me to love like You.

Luke 10:25-37

My Beloved how do I even begin to thank You.  You are an ever present help in times of trouble.  I called on You for help and You answered me in both the readings of today's Holy Mass.  If I could only look upon those who are difficult to love like the man who was beaten by robbers and who lay wounded and helpless, I will understand, that often we are what we are because of so many factors that have a direct bearing on our character. It isn't important to know the reason why my brother or sister is lying on the road beaten up and half dead.  I am called to action moved with pity and compassion.  I am called to be like the Good Samaritan in the Parable.  You will repay me in the end for being a good neighbor.

You have reinforced the message You gave me for my meditation today and You say to me, "Let he who has ears hear."


Jonah 2:3-5, 8
3“In my distress I cried to God,
and he answered me;
from the belly of the netherworld
you heard my voice when I called.
You cast me into the abyss,
into the very heart of the sea,
and the currents swirled about me;
all your breakers and your billows
passed over engulfing me.
Then I thought:
I have been cast out from your presence,
but I keep on looking to your holy Temple.
When my soul was fainting within me,
I remembered the Lord,
and before you rose my prayer
up to your holy Temple.

No comments:

Post a Comment