Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Zechariah 8:20-23, Luke 9:51-56, Psalm 87:1-7

Daily Mass Readings:  Zechariah 8:20-23, Luke 9:51-56, Psalm 87:1-7

Zechariah 8:20-23
23 The Lord, the God of hosts assures you, “In those days ten men of different languages spoken in various lands, will take hold of a Jew by the hem of his garment and say: We, too, want to go with you for we have heard that God is with you.”


My Beloved, if only this was true of every Catholic.  If only we all lived such holy lives witnessing to our faith in You that people from all nations would approach to touch the  hem of our garments because they were filled with awe at our faith and love of You and our love for each other.  

Grant O Lord that I may so live my faith that I may glorify You always and give witness to Your glory and majesty.

Luke 9:51-56

51 As the time drew near when Jesus would be taken up to heaven, he made up his mind to go to Jerusalem. 52 He had sent ahead of him some messengers who entered a Samaritan village to prepare a lodging for him. 53 But the people would not receive him because he was on his way to Jerusalem. 54 Seeing this, James and John, his disciples said, “Lord, do you want us to call down fire from heaven to reduce them to ashes?” 55 Jesus turned and rebuked them, 56 and they went on to another village.

Like the Samaritans, I to have deep seated prejudices that result in lost opportunities.  I fail to experience Your joy because my narrow vision renders me blind.  We reject people for the wrong reasons and we in turn have also experienced rejection.  I have the same knee jerk reaction of James and John.  A petty desire for revenge motivates my desire to retaliate with venom against those who refuse to accept me.  Everybody loses when I fail to obey the commandment to love God first and then neighbor.

Beloved, give me a heart like Yours and Mary's to love always as I ought to love.
 
Psalm 87:1-7
But of Zion it shall be said,
“More and more are being born in her.”
For the Most High himself has founded her.

How comforting verse 5 if of the Psalm.  Thank You for the Church and may You grant that my witness will count for something to some who will return to the fold on account of my witness and together we will rejoice with all Your children.

No comments:

Post a Comment