Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Romans 7:21-25

Daily Meditation:  Romans 7:21-25

Romans 7:21-25

21 I discover, then, this reality: though I wish to do what is right, the evil with­in me asserts itself first. 22 My inmost self agrees and rejoices with the law of God, 23 but I notice in my body another law challenging the law of the spirit, and delivering me as a slave to the law of sin written in my members. 24 Alas, for me! Who will free me from this being which is only death? 25 Let us give thanks to God through Jesus Christ, our Lord!



My Beloved, it is true that I long to be all that God wants me to be.  From the moment I wake up in the morning I offer You my day, I ask to  be led by Your Holy Spirit in all the choices I make but by the close of the day on examining my conscience, I see that I have sinned over and over again.  My heart, my soul and my inmost being rejoices in all that is right, good, holy, pure and beautiful but I am weak and my flesh craves to be indulged in so many ways.  I fall so many times a day despite all my good intentions and resolutions.  There is a constant struggle within me and quite often sin prevails and end up with the taste of ashes in my mouth.  Even though I know that only You can satisfy and that my greatest joy comes from pleasing You and doing Your will, often I am tempted to do just the opposite of what I ought to do and must do.  But I need not despair as St. Paul tells me that You my Beloved will save me, You will help me to overcome by desire to indulge my senses and my flesh.  Thank You my Beloved for the graces You make available to me always.

---- Mine, do you know why you fail so often?  Why you fail to tap into the vast reservoirs of grace available to you to help you overcome temptation?  It is because you make half hearted attempts to fight temptation.  Just when you would have won the fight with help from My Spirit, you give up and fail.  Put up a more determined resistance in your fight and you will win with My help.  Always have great confidence in my help.  Trust Me.

How true Beloved.  So often I just put up a token resistance and then I am so unhappy that I did not succeed in doing what I know was right.  I set myself up to fall and then I wring my hands when I do.  Thank You for this insight.  Help me to face temptation more determinedly, armed with Your grace, strength and Spirit.  I know that You do not lay on our shoulders burdens that are beyond our ability to endure.  Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment