Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Nehemiah 2:1-8, Luke 9:57-562, Psalm 137:1-6

Daily Mass Readings:  Nehemiah 2:1-8, Luke 9:57-562, Psalm 137:1-6

Nehemiah 2:1-8

In the month of Nisan, in the twentieth year of King Arta­xerxes, I was doing my duty as cupbearer. I took up the wine and gave it to the king. I had never been sad be­fore the king in the past. 2 So, the king said to me, “Why do you look sad? You don’t look sick. Is there something that bothers you?”
I became hesitant. And I said, “May the king live forever! How could I afford not to be sad when the city where my ancestors are buried lies in ruins and its gates are burned down?” The king said to me, “What do you want, then?” I asked help of God from heaven and said to the king, “If it seems good to the king and if he is pleased with my work, then may he send me to the land of Judah, to the city where my ancestors are buried, that I may rebuild it.”
The queen was sitting beside the king, and the king asked me, “How long will you be gone? When will you be back?” I told him the date and he allowed me to leave. And I said to the king, “If it pleases the king, may you give me letters for the governors of the province at the other side of the River that I may travel to Judah, and also a letter to Asaph, the caretaker of the king’s forest, for I will need wood for the gates of the Citadel near the Tem­ple, for the walls of the city and for the house where I shall live.”
The good hand of God was sup-porting me, so that the king gave me what I asked.

Beloved, we do what You want us to do.  When we are obedient to Your call to serve, we can count on everyone to help us to accomplish all that You will.  You move the hearts of those in authority to enable us do all You desire.  We are after all only instruments.

Use me Beloved for Your glory alone.

Luke 9:57-62

57 As they went on their way, a man said to him, “I will follow you wherever you go.” 58 Jesus said to him, “Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head.”
59 To another Jesus said, “Follow me.” But he answered, “Let me go back now, for first I want to bury my father.” 60 And Jesus said to him, “Let the dead bury their dead; as for you, leave them and proclaim the kingdom of God.”
61 Another said to him, “I will follow you, Lord, but first let me say goodbye to my family.” 62 And Jesus said to him, “Whoever has put his hand to the plow and looks back is not fit for the kingdom of God.”

Beloved, we are all called to mission.  What is my response?  Do I make excuses or am I total yielded to You and Your will?

 Psalm 137:1-6

My Beloved, as long as there are those who have not yet heard the Good News, as long as there are people who do not yet belong to the Kingdom, we ought to have a great sadness, hunger and zeal to preach the Good News so all will come to know You and love You.

No comments:

Post a Comment