Monday, August 29, 2011

John 10:14-15, Jeremiah 1:17-19, Mark 6:17-29, Psalm 71:1-6, 15 & 17

Daily Meditation: John 10:14-15

John 10:14-15
14 I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, 15 as the Father knows me and I know the Father. Because of this I give my life for my sheep.

How thrilling and beautiful this whole chapter is where You speak quite plainly and tell us who You truly are.  You are the Good Shepherd sent to protect and save Your sheep.  The Father who loves You, sent You to redeem us whom He created in love for an eternal destiny in His Kingdom.  Yes Lord, You know me and I know You.  I recognize Your voice because I belong to You.  It is the same voice I hear speaking in and through Your Church.  Thank You for laying down Your life for me.  Teach me to do the same.

Daily Mass Readings:  Jeremiah 1:17-19, Mark 6:17-29, 
                                       Psalm 71:1-6, 15 & 17

Jeremiah 1:17-19

My Lord, Your people are a remnant among most nations.  Even among the so called Christian nations with a Christian heritage, Your remnant are abused, scorned, mocked, ridiculed and persecuted yet, we are not alone, You are with us.  You strengthen the bars of the Gate, You fortify the walls with the help of grace.  You give us courage and we know that no matter how hard they try to destroy us, they will not prevail, for You are with us, You will rescue us and we shall never be overcome.

Mark 6:17-29

Here we have a narrative of events that led to St. John the Baptist's imprisonment and subsequent death.  The truth can sometimes be unpalatable and disturbing, especially in the area of grave sin.  Rather than confront our wrong doing, we wish to pretend it does not exist.  How different Salome's mother is from all the good mother figures we have in Scripture.  The mother of the 7 seven sons in Maccabees would rather her sons died before her before than see them sin and break God's law. We have Samuel's mother Hannah, St. John the Baptist's mother Elizabeth and so many others and then we have the Mother par excellence Mary, the Mother of God and our Mother, Mama Mary.
Herodias not only incites her daughter to sin but she causes those around her to sin as well first by permitting her to dance before men and then leading her to encourage Herod to commit murder in order to quiet her guilty conscience.  John the Baptist, like many upright and holy people, is an irritant to sin filled souls who seek to silence and destroy the person causing the disquiet rather than amend their lives and make reparation.

Psalm 71:17

17 You have taught me from my youth and until now I proclaim your marvels.

No comments:

Post a Comment