Monday, February 21, 2011

John 1:43, Sirach 1:1-10, Mark 9:14-29, Psalm 93:1, 2,5

Daily Mass Reading:  Sirach 1:1-10, Mark 9:14-29, Psalm 93:1, 2,5
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John 1:43
"Follow Me."

Beloved, when You say, "Follow Me," it means that:

1)  I go where You go no matter where it may be.  I  may not know where You will take me but even that does not matter as long as I am with You.

2)  "Follow Me," also means that I imitate You as perfectly as my sinful nature will allow me to.  I must love as You love, forgive as You forgive, understand as You do, have mercy and compassion and a largeness of mind, heart and spirit just like You.

Grant me humility Lord, combined with obedience, prompt, cheerful obedience to whatever it is that God is calling me to, in imitation of You.

Sirach 1:1, 10
All wisdom comes from the Lord and endures with Him forever.
One alone is wise and greatly to be feared.  The One who is seated upon His throne. 
The Lord himself created Wisdom. He looked on her and knew her value. He poured her out over all his works; 10 upon all mortal beings, in accordance with his goodness. He lavished her on those who love him.

Beloved, You pour out Your wisdom on who You will.  It is necessary to be wise in order to please You.  Grant me Your wisdom O Lord in order that I might be always pleasing to You.

Mark 9:22-24, 25, 27 & 29

......." If you can do anything, have pity on us and help us.”
23 Jesus said to him, “Why do you say: ‘If you can?’ All things are possible for one who be­lieves.” 24 Immediately the father of the boy cried out, “I do believe, but help the little faith I have.”
25........"Leave the boy and never enter him again.” 
27 .... Jesus took him by the hand and lifted him and the boy stood up.
29 And he answered, “Only prayer can drive out this kind, nothing else.”

Beloved, I can identify with everyone in this Gospel passage.

I can identify with the father and his cry to have pity on him and help him.  He had a  small faith and he pleaded with you to increase his faith. You can work miracles even with my small mustard seed sized faith.  I do believe Beloved, help me during the times of my unbelief.

I can identify with the crowds who are often there to watch the show but are not willing to participate or be part of the solution.

I can identify with the poor boy who has a dumb spirit.  How often I too am dumb when I am required to open my mouth and speak the truth but I allow the spirit of fear, timidity or ridicule to grip me.  

Lastly, I can identify with Your disciples who still don't get it despite spending so much time with You.  I can be with You and yet be distant from You if I do not allow the time spent with You to transform me and make me like You.

No comments:

Post a Comment