Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Exodus 33:11, 1 Peter 5:1-4, Matthew 16:13-19, Psalm 23:1-6

Daily Mass Readings:  1 Peter 5:1-4, Matthew 16:13-19, Psalm 23:1-6
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exodus 33:11
Yahweh would speak face to face to Moses, as a man speaks to his friend.

Beloved God, my King, my Savior, my Redeemer and my Lord, You speak to me everyday in personal prayer, in Your Holy Word the Scriptures, when I come before You each morning and look at You in the Blessed Sacrament, when we celebrate  the Holy Eucharist each morning  and the crown of my day when receiving You in the Eucharist - then through the day we commune.  I am more privileged than Moses was because he did not eat You and drink You and receive the life that I receive by feasting at the Banquet of Love.

1 Peter 5:2-4
Shepherd the flock which God has entrusted to you, guarding it not out of obligation but willingly for God’s sake; not as one looking for a reward but with a generous heart; do not lord it over those in your care, rather be an ex­ample to your flock. Then, when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will be given a crown of unfading glory.

Beloved, in my own way I too am a shepherd - as a mother, wife, employee, friend, colleague, catechist.  I have a holy calling to be diligent in the witness I give by my speech and actions.  Grant that I be devoted, kind, gentle and helpful always.

Matthew 16:18-19
18 And now I say to you: You are Peter (or Rock) and on this rock I will build my Church; and never will the powers of death overcome it.
19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven: whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and what you unbind on earth shall be unbound in heaven.”

Beloved, You have established Your Church and You have given us Peter to represent You, our Chief Shepherd as Your Vicar on earth.  He is Your appointed  servant empowered by Your own Holy Spirit with power given by You to bind and loose.  He is the light that shines on the mountain top.  A powerful beacon of hope drawing and guiding all he faithful and all men and women of goodwill safely to You.  Thank You for this marvelous gift to Your Holy Church, Your Bride.

Psalm 23:1-6

THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD

 In the silence of my spirit,
My soul to You I raise,
Prostrate before Your Majesty,
My heart sings hymns of praise.
My inner being sweetly rests,
In pastures fresh and green,
My spirit’s thirst is satisfied,
In waters cool and clean.
The Lord is my dear Shepherd,
No evil shall come near,
I know my God walks with me,
His staff strikes down my fears.
I sup at His own table,
I feast on Bread and Wine,
His mercy, love and goodness,
Thru’ all my days are mine.

Myra D’souza / 4th June 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment