Saturday, February 17, 2024

SATURDAY AFTER ASH WEDNESDAY - 2024

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

I take pleasure, not in the death of a wicked man
– it is the Lord who speaks –
but in the turning back of a wicked man
who changes his ways to win life. EZK 33:11


ISAIAH 58:9-14 ©

My Soul's Beloved,

We are called to be holy and perfect just as our Father is holy and perfect. He created us in Your image and likeness - the image and likeness of His only beloved Son and You O Lord our God have put Your own Spirit in us. He is breathed into our souls and this is why we can, sinners though we are, strive after holiness and perfection if we so desire. We must will it only then can You have Your way with us. You can make us what the Father desires us to be if we only let You. 

Today's first reading tells us clearly how we can live holy lives pleasing to God in every way. Unless we acknowledge that we are only sojourners in this world and here only for a few short years for which we will have to give a strict account to You then we will always have heaven before our eyes. We are only strangers here our true home is in heaven - help us never to forget this truth and live our lives accordingly. We are heaven-bound, Beloved, may we always keep this glorious goal before our eyes no matter how hard the tests and temptations that we must first endure.

If you refrain from trampling the sabbath,
and doing business on the holy day,
if you call the Sabbath ‘Delightful’,
and the day sacred to the Lord ‘Honourable’,
if you honour it by abstaining from travel,
from doing business and from gossip,
then shall you find your happiness in the Lord
and I will lead you triumphant over the heights of the land.
I will feed you on the heritage of Jacob your father.
For the mouth of the Lord has spoken.


PSALM 85(86):1-6 ©

Turn your ear, O Lord, and give answer
for I am poor and needy.
Preserve my life, for I am faithful;
save the servant who trusts in you.

You are my God, have mercy on me, Lord,
for I cry to you all the day long.
Give joy to your servant, O Lord,
for to you I lift up my soul.

O Lord, you are good and forgiving,
full of love to all who call.
Give heed, O Lord, to my prayer
and attend to the sound of my voice.

Show me, Lord, your way so that I may walk in your truth.

LUKE 5:27-32 ©

My Soul's Beloved,

You are God, You see all, You know all, You noticed the tax collector, You saw the true state of his soul, You knew how lonely he was. He hated being considered a sinner and an outcast and wished ardently to be a part of the people of God but was judged and condemned for his profession. Surely Levi would have heard of You for Your fame had spread everywhere perhaps You caught his gaze on You and You saw the regret, pain, and hopelessness in his glance and Your Heart was filled with great tenderness, compassion, and love for him and You invited him to follow You.

Those two words, 'Follow me' were like a clap of thunder or maybe sweet music to his ears. Incredulity filled his soul. Did he hear right? Were You actually inviting him to follow You? Once he realized that You did, he did hesitate for an instant but leaving everything got up and followed You. 

O my Lord and my God, if only I was like Levi. You call to me unceasingly yet I often close my ears to the sound of Your voice because I prefer my own will to Yours. I prefer a life of ease and self-indulgence rather than denial and mortification of my flesh and to align my will to Yours in all things. In this alone is true joy. Grant me the grace I need to respond generously, wholeheartedly, obediently, promptly, and above all gladly to Your call.

Thank You, Lord, for assuring me and every sinner that You came to call sinners to repentance and not the virtuous. Keep me aware of my need of You and grant me the grace to cling to You and follow You all the days of my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment