Sunday, February 18, 2024

FIRST SUNDAY IN LENT - 2024

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

Man does not live on bread alone,
but on every word that comes from the mouth of God. MT 4:4


GENESIS 9:8-15 ©

My Soul's Beloved,

Every Covenant that God made beginning with Abraham is a Covenant made with me in mind for I was conceived in the heart and mind of God in eternity. Eternity with You O my beloved Lord is what God has destined for me.

Yes I know I am a sinner. I was conceived in sin, and I continue to sin because I am weak, frail, willful, and selfish. I know that I often lack the will to choose what is good, true, and beautiful over my sinful inclinations but I also know that I desire to love You with all my heart, mind, soul, and strength and You O Lord are so good You will bless me and grant me the desires of my heart.

Thank You for the final Covenant that God has made with me and with the whole human race in You my Lord and my God. I give my God unceasing praise and thanks for You, my Living God, and my hope of eternal joy and salvation.


PSALM 24(25):4-6,7b-9 ©

Lord, make me know your ways.
Lord, teach me your paths.
Make me walk in your truth, and teach me:
for you are God my saviour.

Remember your mercy, Lord,
and the love you have shown from of old.
In your love remember me,
because of your goodness, O Lord.

The Lord is good and upright.
He shows the path to those who stray,
He guides the humble in the right path,
He teaches his way to the poor.

Your ways, Lord, are faithfulness and love for those who keep your covenant.

1 PETER 3:18-22 ©

My Soul's Beloved,

While it is true that You willingly, in obedience to the Father's will took on Yourself our sins, our guilt, and our death because God loves us, because of Your perfect submission to His will God has raised You high above all in heaven on earth and under the earth. God has made You supreme over all creatures and all created things. To You is given all rule, all power, and judgment. Your reign is unending.

Thank You, Lord, for entering into my sin, my shame, my guilt, my death, and in exchange for my miserable and sinful life You have given me Your life and Your Spirit. Keep me faithful to the end and not just me, Beloved, but all those I love. Those who have to be restored to sacramental life grant them the grace to return home to You and to Holy Mother Church. Those who need to be converted, grant them conversion through baptism. Thank You.

MARK 1:12-15 ©

My Soul's Beloved,

Today, the first Sunday in Lent, we reflect of Mark's short version of the 40 days You spent in the wilderness. The Church has set aside 40 days for us too to get back to what's important for our salvation. How we need to reflect on our way of living and whether or not it is conducive to making us holy and perfect as our Father is holy and perfect.

It is difficult, and sometimes we believe impossible for us to discipline our appetites for the things of the world, the material things, the things that give our body pleasure. These are not always bad or sinful but this time of Lent gives us an opportunity to train ourselves to control those passions, the desires of the body, its appetites, and to focus on what is spiritual. The things that the soul longs for - silence, contemplation, meditation. Adoration before Your eucharistic presence in the chapel where You wait for us. To take a moment to focus on the Gifts of the Holy Spirit and to use these gifts so the fruits of the Spirit can become evident in our lives.

You O Lord were both human and divine and there is nothing about the human condition that is beyond Your ability to understand and so I come to You this day and ask for the grace to exercise discipline on the appetites of my flesh. It is not easy Lord and I am sure that on some days I will fail but as long as I strive honestly I know You will supply all the help I need and You will be pleased. Thank You, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment