Thursday, August 24, 2023

ST. BARTHOLOMEW, APOSTLE - 2023

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

Rabbi, you are the Son of God,
you are the King of Israel. JN 1:49


APOCALYPSE 21:9-14 ©

My Soul's Beloved,

I am a member of Your Body, the Church which You founded on the Twelve Apostles. The Church is Your Bride and You, O Lord, her Bridegroom. How wonderful it is to know that although I am poor, insignificant and little because I am grafted into this Church which is Your Body, I am Your bride. 

You have given me Your Holy Spirit to help me to grow in virtue, in holiness so when my life on earth has ended You will come to take me by the hand and lead me to the place that You O Lord, my God, have prepared for me. 

Keep me O Lord as the apple of Your eye. Guard me from the wiles of the Enemy. Keep me safe, my Beloved for Yourself and for eternity. There, along with the Apostles and all the saints, my brothers and sisters who have gone before me, I will behold You face to face and sing Your praises forever. 

PSALM 144(145):10-13a,17-18 ©

Your friends, O Lord, make known the glorious splendour of your reign.

All your creatures shall thank you, O Lord,
and your friends shall repeat their blessing.
They shall speak of the glory of your reign
and declare your might, O God.

Your friends, O Lord, make known the glorious splendour of your reign.

They make known to men your mighty deeds
and the glorious splendour of your reign.
Yours is an everlasting kingdom;
your rule lasts from age to age.

Your friends, O Lord, make known the glorious splendour of your reign.

The Lord is just in all his ways
and loving in all his deeds.
He is close to all who call him,
who call on him from their hearts.

Your friends, O Lord, make known the glorious splendour of your reign.

JOHN 1:45-51 ©

My Soul's  Beloved,

Like the apostle Nathanael also known as Bartholomew, we can either choose to accept as true commonly held prejudices or we can be open to the possibility that God can be found anywhere even in the least likely place that we expect Him to be because He is everywhere.

Nathanael was open to Philip's invitation to 'come and see' and he was richly rewarded.  Even as he approached You, Beloved, You revealed to him that from all eternity You knew him when You declared, ‘There is an Israelite who deserves the name, incapable of deceit.’  To which he responded, ‘How do you know me?’ and You replied, ‘Before Philip came to call you, I saw you under the fig tree.’ 

Your recognition and knowledge of Nathanael was enough to prompt him to declare, ‘Rabbi, you are the Son of God, you are the King of Israel.’ You said, ‘You believe that just because I said: I saw you under the fig tree. You will see greater things than that. I tell you most solemnly, you will see heaven laid open and, above the Son of Man, the angels of God ascending and descending.’

Keep me faithful O Lord to the end and not just me Lord, but all those I love and bring the whole world to the knowledge that You are indeed the Son of God, the King of Kings, and the Lord of Lord. Through You alone O Lord we are saved.

No comments:

Post a Comment