Saturday, July 22, 2023

ST. MARY MAGDALENE - 2023

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

Tell us, Mary: say
what thou didst see upon the way.
– The tomb the Living did enclose;
I saw Christ’s glory as he rose!


SONG OF SONGS 3:1-4 ©

My Soul's Beloved,

You delivered St. Mary Magdalene from seven devils and from that moment on she was wholly Yours. The Song of the Bridegroom and the Bride which is the Song of the Church, Your Body, became her Song as well. 

So complete was her total surrender to divine love that she no longer belonged to herself but to You. She was caught up in rapturous love and when she thought You had died she was bereft. In her overpowering, all-consuming grief she forgot everything You had preached and taught concerning the necessity of Your dying and after three days You would rise again.

Too often, my Beloved, we become so consumed by the great and painful troubles and sorrows in life that we forget that we have God who is fighting our battles alongside us, with us, and for us. All we are required to do is be still and grant You permission to be God.

You are our Lover and we are Your beloved, and this my Lord and my God is our Song. 

The bride says this:
On my bed, at night, I sought him
whom my heart loves.
I sought but did not find him.
So I will rise and go through the City;
in the streets and in the squares
I will seek him whom my heart loves.
I sought but did not find him.
The watchmen came upon me
on their rounds in the City:
‘Have you seen him whom my heart loves?’
Scarcely had I passed them
when I found him whom my heart loves.

PSALM 62(63):2-6,8-9 ©

My Soul's Beloved,

This psalm beautifully encapsulates the experience of the saints. It can be our experience as well for You have given all who are baptized into Your Body the Sacraments through which rich graces flow. You have given us Your Holy Spirit the fount of all Grace and He abides in us. He who is the love that binds the Father and the Son and makes You One through Him is the same Spirit that unites us to the Triune God and unites us as well.

Grant me O Lord a burning desire to love You as I ought so this psalm becomes my experience every moment of every day that I live.

O God, you are my God, for you I long;
for you my soul is thirsting.
My body pines for you
like a dry, weary land without water.

So I gaze on you in the sanctuary
to see your strength and your glory.
For your love is better than life,
my lips will speak your praise.

So I will bless you all my life,
in your name I will lift up my hands.
My soul shall be filled as with a banquet,
my mouth shall praise you with joy.

For you have been my help;
in the shadow of your wings I rejoice.
My soul clings to you;
your right hand holds me fast.


JOHN 20:1-2,11-18 ©

My Soul's Beloved,

Our grief so often overwhelms us so greatly that we forget that we have God whom we address as Dad, we have God for our Brother and Bridegroom, and we have the all-consuming Love of the Holy Spirit that binds us with You. Our fears and our grief become the great big stone that blocks us from You. Mary of Magdala was still in the dark as she made her way to the tomb. As she walked she was filled with sorrow, sadness, and an overwhelming sense of loss. To her deep sorrow was added the anxiety of how she would manage to roll away the stone from the tomb. 

When she arrived she discovered that the stone had already been moved. Instead of being filled with joy, she became even more distressed because she thought someone had stolen Your Body. Running back to the disciples Peter and John she exclaimed, ‘They have taken the Lord out of the tomb’ she said ‘and we don’t know where they have put him.’

Returning to the tomb, beside herself with grief, she stooped to look inside and lo and behold she saw two angels in white sitting where the body of Jesus had been, one at the head, the other at the feet. They said, ‘Woman, why are you weeping?’ ‘They have taken my Lord away’ she replied ‘and I don’t know where they have put him.’ 

It is then that You made Yourself known to her although she did not recognize You and You said to her, ‘Woman, why are you weeping? Who are you looking for?’

Help us O Lord when in the throes of our grief we never forget that You are God. You have risen from the dead and because You entered into our death we have hope of being raised to eternal life through Your glorious resurrection into heaven.

Because You have ascended to Your Father and now reign in heaven as our Lord and our God we can cling to You and I do cling to You. May my life O Lord never cease to be a powerful witness to Your Life and Love. Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment