Sunday, December 12, 2021

THIRD SUNDAY OF ADVENT - 2021

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

The spirit of the Lord has been given to me.
He has sent me to bring the good news to the poor. 
lS 61:1 (LK 4:18)


ZEPHANIAH 3:14-18 ©

My Soul's Beloved,

This beautiful song of exultation was written in expectation of the coming Messiah who would rule the world with fairness and the people of God longed for the coming of God.

You did come, Beloved, and Your own did not recognize You. You came into the world but the world rejected You. 

As we prepare this Advent and recall the longing of God's people for Your first coming, we, the new people of God, are filled with the same great hunger for Your Second Coming in glory. Grant us a burning zeal to use the time that is allotted to each one of us who is grafted into Your Body to make You known and loved so when You do come again, this time in glory and majesty, You will find the world ready to welcome You with exultant joy. 

And while we wait, my Lord and my God, let us keep busy building Your Kingdom on earth so when You return again to Your own it will be just as Zephaniah has foretold. 



PHILIPPIANS 4:4-7 ©

My Soul's Beloved,

The greatest missionary of all time assures me in words inspired by God Himself that I am to be happy always because that is what You desire me to be. To be happy I must be patient with everyone because it is evident to all that You are near - You are with me, in me, around me, above and below me - and because I know this I am at peace and joy fills my soul and nothing can impact or take away my joy.

 Worry, anxiety, stress, and fear eat into the soul and destroy it. Paul assures me that I have no need to worry because if there is anything I need all I have to do is ask You for it and the way that I must do it is with prayer and thanksgiving. At every eucharistic celebration in which I participate daily, I can make all my needs known to You for this is no greater prayer of thanksgiving and praise. And You, my Lord and my God will grant me Your own peace a peace that nothing can disturb, or take away because Your own Holy Spirit will guard my heart and my thoughts in You. Thank You!

LUKE 3:10-18 ©

My Soul's Beloved,

If the world took heed of John the Baptist's advice we would hasten Your Second Coming. Sadly, we live in a world of treachery, greed, selfishness, ignorance, violence, degrading poverty, sickness, and death. If each of us asked the question, 'What must I do?' like the tax collectors and soldiers did, and paid heed to John's response, 

‘If anyone has two tunics he must share with the man who has none, and the one with something to eat must do the same.’  ‘Exact no more than your rate.’ ‘No intimidation! No extortion! Be content with your pay!’ Then we would make a beginning and go on from there to discover the greater mysteries of God's saving love for us.

John's baptism of water was for repentance but by the power of the Holy Spirit, he prophesied a greater baptism. One that those who believed in You and Your Name would receive. He said, 'Someone is coming, someone who is more powerful than I am, and I am not fit to undo the strap of his sandals; he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.' It is a baptism that makes us children of God and members of Your Body, the Church, which is Your Bride.

You will come again, Lord, of this we are certain, and when we do may we be ready, may we be like wheat gathered into Your barn and not the chaff that You will cast into the fire that never goes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment