Saturday, February 16, 2013

2 Maccabees 6:18-31, Psalm 3:2-7, Luke 19:1-10

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

MEMORIAL OF THE PRESENTATION OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY

God loved us, and sent his Son
as expiation for our sins. 1 Jn 4:10B


2 Maccabees 6:18-31, Psalm 3:2-7, Luke 19:1-10

2 Maccabees 6:18-31

Dear Love, Beloved of my Soul,

There have always been martyrs like Eleazar who died with courage for the sake of their faith, in this case, for the Law of Moses given to them by God. Because of his good standing with the people and because of his age, he was tempted to make a pretense of complying with what they asked by making it appear that he was eating forbidden food, but he refused. Aware of how it would appear to those who were looking to him and would take their cue from him, he said he would prefer death than to live a few more days in dishonor.

How many of us today are afraid to take a stand on what we know to be true for the law of God is written on our hearts? Yet, we prefer to dance with the devil and make a pretense of conforming to the world because we don't want to appear judgmental by standing on the side of Truth. 

Pilate famously asked You, "What is truth?" But he did not wait for Your answer. Was one necessary for the embodiment of Truth stood before him?

Many have left us models of faith and courage - may we follow them on the narrow way that leads to life rather than the broad road that leads to damnation.

Psalm 3:2-7

Dear Lord, Beloved of my soul,

You uphold me. You keep me safe from the wiles of the enemy. You give me grace upon grace to walk on the side of Truth. Continue to keep me close beside You. Keep my hand in Yours and never let it go lest I be lost forever.

You are my refuge, my shield, my deliverer, in You alone is my salvation. Keep me always as the apple of Your eye. Let me never be parted from You my Beloved through the choices I make. Grant me the courage to stand up and choose to witness boldly, unequivocally, for all that is true, good, noble, and beautiful no matter what it can cost me of material and worldly advantage.

Keep my ear every attuned to the sound of Your Voice and on hearing it may I be guided by it and follow You closely all the days of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment