Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Wednesday of the Fifth Week of Lent

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS


Blessed are they who have kept the word with a generous heart
and yield a harvest through perseverance. LK 8:15


DANIEL 3:14-20, 90-92, 95
PSALM (DANIEL) 3:52-56
JOHN 8:31-42

DANIEL 3:14-20, 90-92, 95

My Beloved, Soul of my soul,

The verses in today's Liturgy taken from the Book of  Daniel remind us that we ought not to be afraid of what the rulers of the world can do to us. They can be as petty, tyrannical, or as cruel as they wish to be but if we remain steadfast in faith God will send His angels to deliver us.

We tend to make excuses for our lapses in courage. We go with the herd. We are afraid to make waves. We bend over backwards to be politically correct. We maintain a cowardly silence when we ought to speak up for what is right. All the great heroes of our faith have demonstrated that dying for the Truth is far, far more satisfying to our soul than slinking into the shadows and losing ourselves in the crowd so as not to take a stand on the side of Truth. 

A bold witness in the face of torture, imprisonment and death has the power to glorify God as nothing else can.

PSALM (DANIEL) 3:52-56

My Beloved, Soul of my soul,

Today I ask for the grace to praise You, bless You, worship You and glorify You with every breath I take. May all I do this day, may all I say this day, may all I think today give You glory. May I raise my heart, my mind, my soul, my spirit and my whole being to You as I go about my daily tasks, or when I rest, or during my recreation. May I never for a moment grieve the Holy Spirit who makes His home in my sinful soul. Amen.


JOHN 8:31-42

My Beloved, Soul of my soul,

Thank You for revealing to us that You are the Word of the Father sent by Him into the world to set us free from slavery to sin and death. If we are to be Your disciples then we must remain in You for You are the Word made Flesh who came to dwell among us and to reveal to us the love of God our Father.

As long as we choose to revel in sin we have no hope of eternal life. A slave to the world, the flesh, and the devil dies a slave but the one who receives the Word and abides in it is Your sister and brother, a child of God and an heir to the Kingdom of heaven.

To this day the world has sought to destroy Truth but only Truth has the power to set us free. All who seek Truth with sincere hearts will find it and be saved, all who reject the Truth have no hope of salvation. The Father wills that anyone who comes to Him through You will be saved for it is He who sent You.

No comments:

Post a Comment