Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Memorial of Saint Thomas Aquinas, priest and doctor of the Church

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS


You have but one Father in heaven;

you have but one master, the Christ. MT 23:9B, 10B

WISDOM 7:7-10, 15-16
PSALM 119:9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
MATTHEW 23:8-12


WISDOM 7:7-10, 15-16

My Beloved, Soul of my soul,

Those who are wise in the wisdom of the Lord are always humble attributing all glory and honor to God, who is the giver of every good and perfect gift.

The foolishness of God is wiser than the wisdom of the world and we are presently living in a very foolish, delusional world. Those who believe in You, in Your Word, and who live by Gospel principles are ridiculed, ostracised, and silenced. But the Wisdom of God prevails and God's gift of Wisdom continues to be poured out upon those whom He chooses to give it. 

Wisdom is all around us if we care to look for it. It is in nature, in the sky, in all that is alive and moves, in all that is seen and unseen for the Spirit of Wisdom is found in all creation and in all His creatures.

In humility let us ask God to give us eyes to see, ears to hear and a docile spirit to understand the mysteries of His Kingdom. 


PSALM 119:9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14

My Beloved, Soul of my soul,

Your Word is the light that illumines the way to the Father. Grant me the will to keep Your commands, to read Your Word and to be nourished by it. 

Enable me to yield in perfect docility to all that You ask of me and may I never stray from the way of truth. Keep me from grave sin and error for as long as I live. Give me a grateful heart for all the blessings that You pour upon me each day. May I never cease to praise You all the days of my life. Amen.


MATTHEW 23:8-12

My Beloved, Soul of my soul,

There is nothing more pleasing and delightful than true humility in a person who is blessed by God in every way. They are childlike and they have an inner glow. They are aware that what they have received is a gift that is to be shared and take no personal credit but give all glory to God.

Many of us are vain and we glory in the titles given to us and deem ourselves superior to everyone else because of them. We like to be addressed by these titles and are peeved when we are not. Today, we are reminded that we have only one Teacher, one Master, one Father and the greatest of us in Your sight are those who know that they are least. When we get too big for our boots You know exactly how to cut us down to size and that is never very pretty. 

It is far better to pray each day for the gift of true humility and exercise this sweetest of gifts in every way. God pours His gifts on the humble but He abhors the proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment