Thursday, June 27, 2019

Thursday of the Twelfth Week in Ordinary Time - Reflection

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

Whoever loves me will keep my word,
and my Father will love him
and we will come to him. Jn 14:23



Genesis 16:6B-12, 15-16, Psalm 106:1-5, 
Matthew 7:21-29


Genesis 16:6B-12, 15-16

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

When we live as daughters of Eve, we are prone to go against God's will and act according to human wisdom.  This is what Sarai did and she lived to rue her folly and so have the generations that have followed. 

God was clear in His promise to Abram, he believed but his wife was not willing to wait for the appointed time. She decided to take matters in her own hand and one sinful act led to another and to this day we live with the results of her decision. 

God is just. He did not destroy Hagar or her son for she was only a tool in the hands of her mistress. True, she brought Sarai's wrath upon herself for mocking her mistress who was barren, when she found she was with child. But God does not treat us as we deserve. He blessed Hagar and her son Ishmael.

Thank You, Beloved, for not treating us according to our sins but according to Your riches in mercy and compassion.


Psalm 106:1-5

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

We sin over and over again. We are weak. We not only stumble often but we fall into a pattern of habitual sin. Yet You are merciful and You always forgive the repentant sinner.

You reward the faithful. Those who cooperate with the grace and strive to live holy, upright, honorable lives. Those who dedicate their lives to love and service. These You bless a hundred-fold.

Help me, my Lord and my God, to be counted among those who use the graces that You so richly bless us with, to be a blessing to those around me.


Matthew 7:21-29

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

The Key to enter the Kingdom of heaven is to do the will of the Father. This was food and drink to You while You were here on earth and so it must be with us as well who are Your disciples.

What is the Father's will for my life? It is to love God with all the fervor of my heart, mind, soul, body, and spirit and to love everyone I encounter each day, as I love myself.

So easy to say, Love, so hard to do. I stumble and fall all the time because I am a sinner, I am weak. I need You to hold me up, to sustain me with grace, to supply all I need every moment of every day, so I will always choose to do the Father's will over mine despite the constant temptation to follow my sinful tendencies.

No comments:

Post a Comment