Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Jeremiah 18:18-20, Psalm 31:5-6, 14-16, Matthew 17:17-28

Wednesday of the Second Week of Lent

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

I am the light of the world, says the Lord;
whoever follows me will have the light of life. Jn 8:12

Jeremiah 18:18-20, Psalm 31:5-6, 14-16, 
Matthew 17:17-28

Jeremiah 18:18-20

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

Every prophet especially the great ones like Isaiah and Jeremiah are an archetype of You in their suffering. But it is only when we are familiar with both the Old and New texts of Sacred Scripture can we recognize this. We must always be grateful to Holy Mother Church who in her wisdom and under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit offers her children these selections from the Old and the New during the celebration of Holy Mass every day. 

If we are attentive, if we prepare before we come, then we will become aware of how each of the prophets in some way reflects the great and sorrowful Passion that You had to undergo. They were persecuted, tormented, and hounded by the religious leaders just as You were by the High Priest and the leaders of the Sanhedrin. They too did not rest until they finally put You to death in order to rid themselves of the Truth that they refused to accept. They would rather commit willful murder of Innocence than believe and be saved.

To this day, Beloved, the wicked in the world will commit violent acts of murder and spill innocent blood rather than recognize the truth revealed by God and the natural law of good and evil inscribed in our hearts.


Psalm 31:5-6, 14-16

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

Were it not for Your infinite kindness, goodness, and mercy I would be lost forever a long time ago. Thank You for being my refuge, my comforter, my deliverer, my Lord and my God. Thank You for hearing my cry always and hastening to help me. 

Every time someone has hurt me or made me feel invisible, I brought my wounded heart to You and You consoled me. You touched and healed the sore spot with Your compassion and understanding. No hurt is too small or too big for You to help and heal.


Matthew 17:17-28

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

You are going up to Jerusalem with the Twelve disciples and You tell them very clearly exactly what You will go through and yet when the hour arrived they fled into the darkness in paralysed with fear. While it is easy to jeer them we are no different. We may accept that suffering and sorrow enters every life but when we have to take up the cross we want to flee from it.

Sometimes we can have the right attitude when we ask something in prayer but what we ask for might be quite wrong as we see in the case of the mother of John and James who asked that her sons be seated on Your right and left in the Kingdom of God. Very gently You taught her that we must be more concerned in following God's will for our lives.

When the rest of the disciples heard that their mother was jockeying for the best places for her sons they were angry. Very gently You taught them that they are called to be a sign of contradiction in the world unlike those with power who lord it over those who are weak. "... whoever wishes to be great among you shall be your servant; whoever wishes to be first among you shall be your slave. Just so, the Son of Man did not come to be served but to serve and to give his life as a ransom for many." 

We are called to a life of service in humility and obedience to the divine will.

No comments:

Post a Comment