Friday, March 8, 2019

Isaiah 58:1-9A, Psalm 51:3-6AB, 18-19, Matthew 19:14-15

FRIDAY AFTER ASH WEDNESDAY

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

Seek good and not evil so that you may live,
and the Lord will be with you. Amos 5:14



Isaiah 58:1-9A, Psalm 51:3-6AB, 18-19, 
Matthew 19:14-15 


Isaiah 58:1-9A

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

There is fasting for the sake of being seen and praised, there is fasting because it is demanded and when we do we are even more wicked than when we don't. Both kinds are displeasing to You.

The prophet Isaiah mentions clearly the kind of fast that is pleasing to God. We break the chains of those who are bound unjustly, we set free those who are oppressed by those with power. We speak up when we see injustice. We are called to share our food and clothes with those who have none. Our closets and our cupboards are full of stuff we will never use and yet we will not give them away. We hoard for a rainy day that never arrives while those in want languish.

Give me a generous spirit my Lord. To give and not to count the cost to myself, to share without a second thought. Help me to see You in those in need and give generously and readily. Amen.


Psalm 51:3-6AB, 18-19

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

Grant me the grace to make a good confession this Lent.

Thank You.

Matthew 19:14-15

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

These are the days when the Bridegroom is taken away from us and we fast. May our hunger for food and drink remind us of our hunger to be united with You again in glory.

May our physical hunger and thirst remind us that there are many in the world who experience this suffering daily because they have nothing.

May the prayers I make this day and the sacrifices I offer be pleasing to You. I beg You to use all I offer You this day for the salvation of those I love. Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment