Friday, February 15, 2019

Genesis 3:1-8, Psalm 32:1-2, 5-7, Mark 7:31-37

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS


Open our hearts, O Lord,
to listen to the words of your Son. Acts 16:14B


Genesis 3:1-8, Psalm 32:1-2, 5-7, Mark 7:31-37


Genesis 3:1-8

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

You created us to be happy and we are happiest when we retain a childlike innocence and wonder. It is the worldly wise who are jaded and suspicious. Adam and Eve knew God, they knew perfect love, perfect generosity, perfect freedom, yet the woman was prepared to be lured away from trust in her Creator and permit herself to be tempted by the seed of doubt that the serpent planted in her. Not only did she sin but she beguiled Adam to sin as well. In disobeying God they lost everything; paradise as well as their immortal souls.

How easily we are lured by the empty promises of the world, and find we have given up true joy for temporary thrills that last but a moment. Sin is appealing only until the moment we fall into its trap and then we find its evil jaws snap around it and we become its captives. 

Thank You, Beloved, for the incarnation and for reversing what disobedience cost all humanity. Thank You for opening the Gates of the Kingdom of Heaven so we have the promise of the beatific vision when our life on earth has ended.

Thank You, Father, for Your plan of Salvation that gave us Jesus, Your Son as our Redeemer, Savior, and Lord.


Psalm 32:1-2, 5-7

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

I thank and praise You for giving us the gift of the Sacrament of Reconciliation. It is here that our faults are taken away, our sins are removed as far as the east from the west. You declare us innocent for You took upon Yourself the punishment that was ours.

As long as I confess my guilt and come to You with a contrite and repentant heart, You will forgive me no matter how grave my sins for no sin is greater than Your mercy. Thank You, Beloved, for Your assurance that nothing in life can overwhelm me, darkness cannot overcome the light that is within me for Your dwell in me and make Your home in me. 

Thank You, for making Your Sacred Heart my refuge, a place where I can flee to and hide. Thank You for being my Lord, my Protector, my Friend, and my Beloved in life and in eternity. 



Mark 7:31-37

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

Today the Gospel of Mark tells us of the miracle You performed on a deaf man who also had a speech impediment. The man did not come on his own but was brought to You by the people of Decapolis. 

If we look around us we will find many who do not know You but are in need of healing. Are we aware of them? Do we pray for them? Are we compassionate enough to bring them to You for healing? 

St.Mark tells us that the people begged You to lay Your hand on him because they knew that Your touch was enough to bring about the miracle they sought for the man. In our prayers of intercession do we beg for a miracle on their behalf or are our prayers perfunctory and superficial? Do we feel the pain of those we pray for, do we pray with empathy for those who suffer? 

You heard the prayers of the people and taking the man aside we are told of how You went about performing this particular miracle. 

He put his finger into the man’s ears
and, spitting, touched his tongue;
then he looked up to heaven and groaned, and said to him,
“Ephphatha!” (that is, “Be opened!”)
And immediately the man’s ears were opened,
his speech impediment was removed,
and he spoke plainl
y.

Here we see how the Sacraments You instituted are sense perceptive. There is touch, there is matter, and there are words or prayer that cause the heavens to open and grace to be poured into ourselves and miracles take place. We become children of God, we are forgiven of sins, we are confirmed in the Spirit of God, we are made holy and righteous, we are united in one flesh, we are anointed and consecrated to become priests, and we are healed in body and spirit so we can meet our Maker. How awesome are the Sacraments, Beloved. 

We thank the Father for each one of them that He desired You to institute, and we thank the Holy Spirit's power at work in each of the Sacraments.

No comments:

Post a Comment