Friday, December 21, 2018

Song of Songs 2:8-14, Psalm 33:2-3, 11-12, 20-21, Luke 1:39-45

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

O Emmanuel, our King and Giver of Law:
come to save us, Lord our God!
Song of Songs 2:8-14, Psalm 33:2-3, 11-12, 20-21,
Luke 1:39-45


Song of Songs 2:8-14

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

You are with me here and now.  As I walk through the dark valley I do not feel your presence. I feel alone and I am tempted to believe that I have been abandoned but I know this is a lie. You have promised to remain with me always until the end of time. You are here. I am grafted to Your Body. I am the temple of the Holy Spirit. God is my Father and you have taught me to call Him Abba. You love me with a love that is beyond anything I can comprehend or imagine I believe Lord, help my unbelief.

Hark! my lover–here he comes
springing across the mountains,
leaping across the hills.
My lover is like a gazelle
or a young stag.
Here he stands behind our wall,
gazing through the windows,
peering through the lattices.
My lover speaks; he says to me,
"Arise, my beloved, my dove, my beautiful one,
and come!
"For see, the winter is past,
the rains are over and gone.
The flowers appear on the earth,
the time of pruning the vines has come,
and the song of the dove is heard in our land.
The fig tree puts forth its figs,
and the vines, in bloom, give forth fragrance.
Arise, my beloved, my beautiful one,
and come!

"O my dove in the clefts of the rock,
in the secret recesses of the cliff,
Let me see you,
let me hear your voice,
For your voice is sweet,
and you are lovely."
Psalm 33:2-3, 11-12, 20-21

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

All those whose names are written on the palm of your hands are called to give thanks and sing new songs of gladness and praise making melody with joyful hearts.

There cannot be such a thing as a morose Christian, one who is moody, depressed, unhappy, not after what God has done for us through You, His only Son.

God's plan to form a people for Himself could not be thwarted even by sin. He gave us a Savior who would forever defeat sin and death and break all barriers that kept us from the God who so loved the world that He held not His Son, His only Son. You were offered to the Father as a pleasing Sacrifice on the wood of the Cross in expiation for the sins of the whole world.

All nations praise You, offering to the Father the one, holy, and perfect sacrifice that atones for the sins of all humankind.

You came into the world in time, You took Your place in history, and You will come again in glory. We long for Your coming Beloved as we celebrate Your Birth this Christmas. 

I will see You face to face when my life comes to a close. May I long for that day when I will come before You who have been my help, my shield and my joy in this life, to live in Your glorious presence for all eternity. 


Luke 1:39-45

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

Mary is the disciple par excellence. She shows us the way to Your heart, to the heart of God. Filled with the Holy Spirit, with the Presence of the Father as she carried You in her virginal womb she went in haste to be of service to her cousin Elizabeth who had conceived in her old age by the power of God. She who was barren. 

All that God touches comes alive and is fruitful. Elizabeth is alive with the joy of knowing that God has heard her cries of longing and had blessed her with a child. When Mary who is carrying You in her womb meets her cousin the baby in Elizabeth's womb is filled with the Holy Spirit and leaps with joy.

Joy is the sign of God's presence in us. The Holy Spirit helps Elizabeth to understand the wonderful new thing that God has begun to do in this young girl and she cries out exultantly,


"Most blessed are you among women,
and blessed is the fruit of your womb.
And how does this happen to me,
that the mother of my Lord should come to me?
For at the moment the sound of your greeting reached my ears,
the infant in my womb leaped for joy.
Blessed are you who believed
that what was spoken to you by the Lord
would be fulfilled."


My Love, Beloved of my soul, please grant me this grace through the power of Your Holy Spirit to always believe that what You have promised will be fulfilled. Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment