Saturday, November 3, 2018

Philippians 1:18B-26, Psalm 42:2-3, 5, Luke 14:1, 7-11

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,
for I am meek and humble of heart. Mt 11:29AB

Philippians 1:18B-26, Psalm 42:2-3, 5, Luke 14:1, 7-11


Philippians 1:18B-26

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

St. Paul was a true father to the people in all the mission lands where he preached You and the Gospel. He labored untiringly for souls and rejoiced when they were good and was heartbroken when they became lukewarm or if some of them were being led astray by false teaching. He cajoled, he pleaded, he scolded, he threatened because he loved them so much and desired that all of them grow into mature Christians. The more You were proclaimed by those who came to believe in You the greater his joy and this be our experience as well though sadly it is not because we are not on fire with the Holy Spirit, we are not zealous for souls.

Any disciple worthy of the name would rather die and be with You but the greater need is to live and to sow the seed of the Gospel so that many may come to know You and be saved. We are called to imitate You always and we have the example of so many wonderful men and women who have gone before us who show us that it is possible to strive after holiness and perfection.

Help me, my Lord and my God, to shine my own little light which is in truth Your light so that I may illumine the way of those whom I encounter each day even if for a moment. Thank You.

Psalm 42:2-3, 5

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

This is the kind of love that I must have for God. It is the kind of love that You have taught us to have for the Father. My whole being must yearn for You and must be inconsolable until I receive You, am one with You, hear You as I am heard by You. 

All the days of my life in this valley of tears must be as that of a pilgrim who cannot rest until she reaches her true home. My home must be You Beloved. I must nestle in Your Sacred Heart. I must make my dwelling place in You always. 

Thank You, Beloved, for calling us at least once a week to come together as God's people to worship and praise in our Sunday Liturgy. Thank You for the life-giving Sacraments. Thank You for coming to us in the Holy Eucharist and for enabling us to have a taste of the intimacy we will experience with God in the life to come.

Thank You.

Luke 14:1, 7-11

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

There will always be people who look at you with one desire alone and that is to find fault so they can feel superior to everyone else. The Pharisees were like this and You knew them only too well. Being the perfect human being You know all our faults, our foibles, our weaknesses, our propensity for power, honor, glory. To be singled out, praised, and to lobby for the choicest place. 

You were invited to dine at the home of one of the leading Pharisees and everyone present had their gaze fixed on You. As always, You never lost a good teaching moment. You had their attention and You would use it to show them a better way please God. The way of humility. It is a timeless lesson and one that every disciple worthy of the name must follow.

"For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled,
but the one who humbles himself will be exalted."

No comments:

Post a Comment