Sunday, October 14, 2018

Wisdom 7:1-11, Psalm 90:12-17, Hebrews 4:12-13, Mark 10:17-30

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Mt 5:3

Wisdom 7:1-11, Psalm 90:12-17, Hebrews 4:12-13,
Mark 10:17-30

Wisdom 7:1-11

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

To be prudent is to have sound common sense and prudence coupled with wisdom is the hallmark of holy men and women. Wisdom is embodied in the Holy Spirit and in God and Mary is titled Seat of Wisdom because she conceived and bore the Son of God in whom Wisdom dwells in fullness.

I am a foolish creature Beloved, You know it better than I do. Yet, I have received this Gift of the Holy Spirit when I received the Sacrament of Confirmation. I thank You for giving Your gifts so graciously and lavishly in the Sacraments. I may have not used them as well as I should but with Your help, I will strive to do better.

Psalm 90:12-17

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

Every morning in prayer You come to me and You fill me with Your Presence and Your love. For this I thank You. Were it not for Your Spirit that draws me to You I would spend my life in frivolous pastimes to the detriment of my soul.

I thank You Beloved for Your Word in Holy Scripture that nourishes me, teaches me and guides me. It makes me aware of all that You desire of me and all that I can be if I trust You to lead me. 

With the psalmist, I rejoice for all the times when I tasted the cup of sorrow, and for all the times when I stumbled and fell for they taught me how much You love me and how weak and helpless I am without You and Your grace. Keep me close to You for the years that are left for me and bless all those I love. Keep us close to Your Sacred Heart and to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. 
Hebrews 4:12-13

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

You are the Word of God, incarnate of the Virgin Mary, whom the Father sent into the world so the invisible God could become visible to us in human flesh. He sent You into the world to show us the way back to the Father's house. He sent You, the Eternal Word into the world, so that we may hear You and hearing You know that God is love and that He loves us. 

God's intimate knowledge of us means that there is nothing about us that is hidden from Him. He knows me and He knows that without grace I would be lost forever. Thank You Beloved for Your Word which speaks to our spirit and has the power to save.

Mark 10:17-30

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

Anyone who has a genuine desire to encounter You will do so. The man who ran up to You had a great desire for a richer spiritual life. He knelt before You in humility and said, "Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?" You countered with another question, "Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone." You said this because the man only believed You to be a good Rabbi, he did not know that You were God. Then You told him that he had to keep the law and the commandments. And You enumerated them. You knew already that the man did observe the commandments this is why we are told that You looked at him, loved him, and invited him to a deeper relationship with God and with You. "You are lacking in one thing. Go, sell what you have, and give to the poor and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me." How often in the course of my life I have been like this man. I have found it hard to give up that one particular sin, which has been different things at different times, that I have clung to and found hard to give up and so have not responded to Your invitation to follow You more closely. When we are unable to give up our little sins of the flesh we distance ourselves from You. We put small barriers and obstacles that prevent us from drawing close to You. This is why it is difficult for those who are not prepared to give up their comfortable sins to make much progress in the spiritual journey to the Kingdom of God. To be childlike is to have simplicity, a genuine desire to please those we love, and to love without desiring to be loved first.

The astonished disciples now are quite aware that salvation is not possible on our own human strength and that is why they wondered among themselves, "Then who can be saved?" And You said, "For human beings it is impossible, but not for God. All things are possible for God." Thank You, Beloved. God desires that all be saved and come to the knowledge of Truth and You have saved us.

Poor Peter, wondered aloud what benefit was there for them who had given up everything to follow You. Did You smile when You answered with this assuring words, "Amen, I say to you, there is no one who has given up house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or lands for my sake and for the sake of the gospel who will not receive a hundred times more now in this present age: houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and lands, with persecutions, and eternal life in the age to come."

Beloved, teach me how to give generously without counting the cost. 

No comments:

Post a Comment