Saturday, August 18, 2018

Ezekiel 18:1-10, 13b, 30-32, Psalm 51:12-15, 18-19, Matthew 19:13-15

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

Blessed are you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth;
you have revealed to little ones the mysteries of the Kingdom. 
Mt 11:25

Ezekiel 18:1-10, 13b, 30-32, Psalm 51:12-15, 18-19,
Matthew 19:13-15


Ezekiel 18:1-10, 13b, 30-32

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

Even in this 21st century, there are those who say when someone suffers that perhaps he or she is paying for the sins of parents or ancestors.

Today, in the Old Testament, where such thinking was prevalent, we are told in unequivocal terms that the sins we commit, and the punishment which is the consequence of grave sins, is our own. The sinner pays for his transgressions, he alone is accountable. The innocent son will not pay for the sins of his parents nor will the son, guilty of sin, be free of its consequences because his parents were righteous. 

You are a just God and all innocents who suffer violence against them by evil men and women will have to face the judgment throne of the Most High. He will have to give a strict account for all his unrepented sins and will have to make reparation for each one them.  We condemn ourselves Beloved, God does not condemn us. The words of the prophet Ezekiel are true, 

The word of the LORD came to me:
Son of man, what is the meaning of this proverb
that you recite in the land of Israel:

For I have no pleasure in the death of anyone who dies,
says the Lord GOD. Return and live!

There is always time to repent as long as we are alive. Grant O Lord that every sinner repents and lives. Thank You.
Psalm 51:12-15, 18-19


My Love, Beloved of my soul,

The Psalmist got it right when he wrote the words to this beautiful psalm.

I will sin Beloved, many times before You call me from this life to the next because I am frail. I am a daughter of Adam. But I am aware that all I need to do when I sin is repent, be contrite, and vow with Your help to sin no more. I thank You that I am redeemed by Your Blood and that through the merits of Your passion, death, and glorious Resurrection I now share in Your inheritance. You have made me an adopted daughter of Your Father. And You, my Beloved, are my Brother. Thank You for all You have won for me on the Cross. May I never take Your love and Your forgiveness for granted but strive to live a pure and holy life with Your help. Amen.

A clean  heart create for me, O God;
and a steadfast spirit renew within me.
Cast me not out from your presence,
and your Holy Spirit take not from me.
Give me back the joy of your salvation,
and a willing spirit sustain in me.
I will teach transgressors your ways,
and sinners shall return to you.

For you are not pleased with sacrifices;
should I offer a burnt offering, you would not accept it.
My sacrifice, O God, is a contrite spirit;
a heart contrite and humbled, O God, you will not spurn.

Matthew 19:13-15

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

The Readings of the Liturgy these last days seem to speak directly to the shepherds who have failed their flock miserably. The same rebuke that You made to Your disciples then hold good today as You rebuke those holding high office within the Church.

All those who have been guilty of using their position to prey upon the innocent and persecute those who resisted will have to pay until they make reparation to the last penny like the wicked, ungrateful servant.
Children were brought to Jesus
that he might lay his hands on them and pray.
The disciples rebuked them, but Jesus said,
"Let the children come to me, and do not prevent them;
for the Kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."
After he placed his hands on them, he went away.

As the sins of those in high places are revealed, may all that is rotten within the Church drain out. The wounds that have been inflicted on Your Bride, the Church no matter how grave, how serious, or how deep will not kill her. We have Your promise Beloved, that the gates of hell will never prevail against her. The sinners will be weeded out but Your Church will remain until the end of time.

We trust in Your promises and in Your unfailing, unwavering love for sinners who repent. Wash away our iniquities, cleanses us from all our sins. Restore all that was lost and help Your Church emerge stronger and brighter than ever before. Let us remember that people have failed Your Church never You.  

No comments:

Post a Comment