Monday, June 18, 2018

1 Kings 21:1-16, Psalm 5:2-7, Matthew 5:38-42

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

A lamp to my feet is your word,
a light to my path. Ps 119:105


1 Kings 21:1-16, Psalm 5:2-7, Matthew 5:38-42


1 Kings 21:1-16

Dear Lov, Beloved of my soul,

Those with great authority who are rich, powerful, and influential and are greedy as well are never satisfied with what they possess. King Ahab wanted a vineyard that belonged to Naboth who refused to sell it to him. Ahab's wicked wife Jezebel hatched a plot to murder Naboth, took the vineyard, and gave it to her husband the king.

This robbery goes on to this day. The poor are ground under the heels of the rich and they are powerless to do anything.  

We have received a great spiritual inheritance which we are called to guard and nurture carefully like Naboth's vineyard and we must be prepared to die rather than sell ourselves for temporary gain.

Psalm 5:2-7

Lord, listen to my groaning.

Hearken to my words, O LORD,
attend to my sighing.
Heed my call for help,
my king and my God!

At dawn I bring my plea expectantly before you.
For you, O God, delight not in wickedness;
no evil man remains with you;
the arrogant may not stand in your sight. 

You hate all evildoers.
You destroy all who speak falsehood;
The bloodthirsty and the deceitful

the LORD abhors.


Matthew 5:38-42

Jesus said to his disciples:
"You have heard that it was said,
An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.
But I say to you, offer no resistance to one who is evil.
When someone strikes you on your right cheek,
turn the other one to him as well.
If anyone wants to go to law with you over your tunic,
hand him your cloak as well.
Should anyone press you into service for one mile,
go with him for two miles.
Give to the one who asks of you,

and do not turn your back on one who wants to borrow."


No comments:

Post a Comment