Tuesday, May 22, 2018

James 4:1-10, Psalm 55:7-11, 23, Mark 9:30-37

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

May I never boast except in the Cross of our Lord Jesus Christ,
through which the world has been crucified to me and I to the world. Gal 6:14


James 4:1-10, Psalm 55:7-11, 23,  Mark 9:30-37


James 4:1-10

Dear Love, Beloved of my soul,

The Apostle James reminds us that if we belong to the world filled with longings for the things of the world and the demands of the flesh, we cannot expect to receive the pearl of great price when our life here comes to a close.

We live in a world of division, confusion, and hatred warring constantly with each other because we have not put to death within us the things that draw us away from You and from Your Holy Spirit. We do not pray as we ought. We do not receive what we ask for in prayer because we ask for things that would imperil our soul rather than asking for things that would draw us out of the mire of sin.

While it may seem on the surface that the proud and haughty of this world are happy and fulfilled, this is not true for their lives are empty. God draws close to the little ones. Those who know that they are nothing and depend on You for every breath we breathe. Thank You Beloved for the Sacrament of Reconciliation for only those with clean hands and pure hearts can approach You with confidence. Thank You for grace received through the Sacraments that provides us with the strength to resist the wiles of the devil. The meek and humble of heart You will not spurn. 

Psalm 55:7-11, 23

Dear Love, Beloved of my soul,

The psalmist reminds me that I can trust You always. All I need to do is throw myself without abandon into Your loving arms and Your merciful heart will pity me and save me. Keep me close to You always. Do not permit a false sense of humility or shame to keep me separated from You, rather, let me have the wisdom to know that You love me and nothing can separate a contrite, repentant heart from receiving Your forgiveness in full measure.

When the tempter attempts to ensnare me let me flee to Your Sacred Heart and find a refuge in it. Keep me safe in the shadow of Your Wings until the danger has passed. Fill me with the wisdom of Your Holy Spirit that I may discern Your will for my life and choose always what is right, good, true, pure, noble, and beautiful. Amen.

Mark 9:30-37

Dear Love, Beloved of my soul,

You taught Your disciples that it was necessary to withdraw from the noise and bustle of the world periodically in order to be taught by You and Your Spirit. 

Some truths are unpalatable this is why You spoke about Your impending death often so when the time arrived they would be prepared. Unfortunately, this was not so. We see this from the reaction of the Apostles and disciples on several occasions after Your death and Resurrection. The disciples on the road to Emmaus were completely discouraged and defeated by the turn of events; their grief so overwhelmed them that it rendered them unable to recollect that You had warned them of the events that were to take place.

It is no wonder that they had forgotten because they did not quite believe it could be possible - instead, they squabbled like children about who was the greatest. You knew they would forget. How often You must have just shaken Your beautiful head often as You watched Your foolish friends lose sight of what was truly important. You were giving them hope to hold on to when the terrible events occurred, 

"The Son of Man is to be handed over to men 
and they will kill him,
and three days after his death the Son of Man will rise." 

But they did not understand what You were saying as the evangelist Mark tells us, and they were afraid to question You. It is so with us too Beloved. We are afraid of the answer and so we do not ask the question.

You know all things and You knew exactly what the Twelve were arguing about it was then You called them, sat them down, and gave them a very important truth about the values of the Kingdom of God which is imperative for all who are Your disciples to follow, 

"If anyone wishes to be first, 
he shall be the last of all and the servant of all." 
Taking a child, he placed it in their midst, 
and putting his arms around it, he said to them,
"Whoever receives one child such as this in my name, receives me; and whoever receives me, receives not me but the One who sent me."

No comments:

Post a Comment