Saturday, April 28, 2018

Acts 13:44-52, Psalm 98:1-4, John 14:7-14

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

If you remain in my word, you will truly be my disciples,
and you will know the truth, says the Lord.  Jn 8:31B-32



Acts 13:44-52, Psalm 98:1-4, John 14:7-14


Acts 13:44-52

Dear Love, Beloved of my soul,

The first verse in today's Reading says that almost the whole city had gathered to hear the word of the Lord. This incited jealousy in the Jews. What were they envious of really? Is it because they loved their Jewish faith or simply because Gentiles, whom they despised, believed the Good News and rejoiced that God had not forgotten them?

Their envy and jealousy were so great that they were prepared to use any means by which to oust the disciples from their territory and they did. Unbeknownst to them, by their very actions, they were helping to further the Kingdom of God. The Gospel was being preached to other places and more and more were becoming believers.

When we are persecuted for our faith let us not get discouraged Beloved, but believe that God is at work and He will ensure that no matter where we go we will be faithful to the mission which has been entrusted to us. To preach the Good News in season and out of season. When it is convenient and when it is not. We leave the results up to You and to the Holy Spirit.

Psalm 98:1-4

Dear Lord, Beloved of my soul,

Truly You are God and not like us weak, powerless, sinful human beings. You know how to turn defeat into victory. You know how to turn poverty of spirit into incomparable riches pleasing to You. 

Beloved, if we trust Your Holy Spirit we will always have a new song praising and glorifying You, the Father, and the Holy Spirit. You can and will work mightily in and through us if we yield ourselves to You.

Like the disciples, Beloved, grant that wherever we go we will remain Your humble and obedient servants attuned to the Holy Spirit and ready and willing to work ceaselessly in Your vineyard in the way that You desire us to. Amen.

John 14:7-14

Dear Loved, Beloved of my soul,

This Truth that You reveal about Your Father when You says, "If you know me, then you will also know my Father. From now on you do know him and have seen him." Helps me understand ever more deeply that You and the Father are One, indivisible in unity yet distinct Persons each from the other. The Holy Spirit is the bond of Love that makes the Three One. 

All that You did from the moment the Father sent You into the world was to reveal His Love for His wayward, sinful, most beloved children. It broke His Heart when original sin severed the link between Him and us and from the very moment on He conceived a way to heal it. This is what You were sent to do and You succeeded in doing it spectacularly my Beloved. 

Every Sacrament that You instituted is because Your Father wanted You to. You become one like us in accordance with Your Father's will. You taught us how to be obedient and humble as this is the only way we can receive what He desires to give - a share in His Kingdom.

After all that Philip has seen and after walking with You closely for three years he makes the most foolish request, 

"Master, show us the Father, and that will be enough for us." 

How often Beloved have I caused You to wince when I say something equally foolish? You said sadly to Philip, 

"Have I been with you for so long a time and you still do not know me, Philip?  Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. 
How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on my own. The Father who dwells in me is doing his works. Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else, believe because of the works themselves. 

Beloved, today I ask the Holy Spirit to etch these words on my heart. May I never forget them and every time I recall them may my love, faith, hope, courage, and strength refreshed, renewed, rekindled.

Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever believes in me will do the works that I do, and will do greater ones than these, because I am going to the Father. And whatever you ask in my name, I will do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything of me in my name, I will do it."

No comments:

Post a Comment