Sunday, March 11, 2018

1 Samuel 16:1, 6-7, 10-13, Psalm 23:1-6, Ephesians 5:8-14, John 9:1, 6-9, 13-17, 34-38

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

I am the light of the world, says the Lord;
whoever follows me will have the light of life. Jn 8:12


1 Samuel 16:1, 6-7, 10-13, Psalm 23:1-6, 
Ephesians 5:8-14, John 9:1, 6-9, 13-17, 34-38


1 Samuel 16:1, 6-7, 10-13

Dear Love, Beloved of my soul,

It is You who directs our affairs. You are the one who instructs, leads, guides, inspires if we would only listen to You we would not set a foot astray. Samuel did exactly as You instructed and You led him to David the king after God's own heart whom He had chosen to rule His nation, Israel. 

Once again You reveal how God sees and judges. Unlike us who look at appearances, You look at the heart. All David's brothers were likely candidates to become king for Samuel was impressed with all of them. But You knew of the one who was not present and You prompted Samuel to say, ""Are these all the sons you have?" And he was told that there was another, a shepherd tending his sheep. He was a prefigurement of You our Good Shepherd who will not only faithfully tend Your sheep but You would lay down Your life for them. The Sacrificial Banquet is the Eucharist - we could not have it until You appeared and You instituted it for us. David was anointed by Samuel, You My Beloved were sent by the Father and anointed by the Holy Spirit Father, You came among us as the Son of Man and the Son of God making known to us the Father and revealing to us His Kingdom. Not a kingdom like David's which is long gone but the Eternal Kingdom where we are all invited. 

Psalm 23:1-6

Dear Love, Beloved of my soul,

Having You I have all things. Having You I need nothing, I want nothing. You satisfy all my longing, all my hunger and my thirsts.  In You is perfect rest. In the midst of a restless world You are my oasis of peace. In You I find my refuge safe from all evil, all danger, all harm.

You are the Good Shepherd ever vigilant. You protect me. You watch out for me and You keep me on paths that are safe. Even in times of darkness and distress, You will not abandon me but stay close by me and comfort me until the storm passed. You feed me. You slake my thirst. With You beside me I am unafraid no matter what challenges may come my way. I trust You, I believe You, I have faith in You and I know that You my Beloved will never fail me or disappoint me. 

You have raised me up. You have given me a place among the favored not for any merit of my own for I possess none. You have anointed my head with oil and the cup of my life overflows with joy and grace. Goodness and kindness has been my lot because You are with me. Thank You for the future promise of a place in Your Kingdom where I will dwell with You forever.

Ephesians 5:8-14

Brothers and sisters:
You were once darkness, 
but now you are light in the Lord.
Live as children of light, 
for light produces every kind of goodness 
and righteousness and truth.
Try to learn what is pleasing to the Lord.
Take no part in the fruitless works of darkness; 
rather expose them, for it is shameful even to mention 
the things done by them in secret; 
but everything exposed by the light becomes visible, 
for everything that becomes visible is light.
Therefore, it says:
"Awake, O sleeper,
and arise from the dead,

and Christ will give you light."

John 9:1, 6-9, 13-17, 34-38

Dear Love, Beloved of my soul,

Here we see that the blind man did not come to You, You noticed him and You restored his sight taking Your spittle, mixing it with clay and smearing it on his eyes. A Sacrament. Unlike the other miracles when You just said the word, or touched people were healed. This was different. But the results were the same. He could see, though not until he washed his eyes in the pool of Siloam. Our blindness is washed away in the waters of Baptism and we receive the gift of Faith as children of God to see and to believe that You are indeed the Son of Man. Like the man blind from birth we too acknowledge that we believe and we worship You as our Lord and our God.






No comments:

Post a Comment