Monday, February 12, 2018

James 1:1-11, Psalm 119:67-68, 71-72, 75-76, Mark 8:11-13

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

I am the way and the truth and the life, says the Lord;
no one comes to the Father except through me. Jn 14:6


James 1:1-11, Psalm 119:67-68, 71-72, 75-76, 
Mark 8:11-13

James 1:1-11

Dear Love, Beloved of my soul,

James' epistle is all about tough love. He is plain spoken and may seem harsh but it is best to get the truth without hedging, hemming and hawing. We live in a world where political correctness is taken to the most absurd lengths. Children are brought up spoiled, lazy, undisciplined growing up to be over sensitive, self-centered, lazy and undisciplined adults. 

Today St. James tells us that when we face harsh trials we ought not to wallow in self-pity and whine but use the occasion to  exercise faith and we will persevere. We are wise in the ways of the world but foolish in the wisdom of God which is why we fall by the wayside and become easy prey to wolves especially wolves in sheep's clothing. If we lack wisdom all we need to do is ask for this gift and You who give without measure, will grant it to us but only if we ask in faith for it has the power to move mountains.

He also reminds us that life is short and death will come to us all therefore the poor must walk with dignity for they are children of God and the rich must walk in humility for for all things pass away. 

Psalm 119:67-68, 71-72, 75-76

Be kind to me, Lord, and I shall live.

Before I was afflicted I went astray,
but now I hold to your promise. 

You are good and bountiful;
teach me your statutes. 

It is good for me that I have been afflicted,
that I may learn your statutes. 

The law of your mouth is to me more precious
than thousands of gold and silver pieces. 

I know, O LORD, that your ordinances are just,
and in your faithfulness you have afflicted me. 

Let your kindness comfort me

according to your promise to your servant.

Mark 8:11-13

Dear Love, Beloved of my soul,

How frustrating it must have been for You sometimes when despite all the unmistakable signs the hard hearted refused to believe. Lacking faith they wanted You to prove over and over who You said You were; God Himself and the Son of God. You knew that nothing would convince them for they were perverse and no matter how great the signs nothing would move them for they lacked faith. 

Today Beloved, the world has drifted further and further away from the paths of wisdom and common sense and many are floundering in a sea of hopelessness and darkness because they refuse to accept the signs that God is indeed among us. They do not know that without You they will be drawn deeper and deeper into the abyss where there is only death and decay. Grant O Lord that Your remnant live the faith with courage and perseverance and because of the few many will come to believe in You and be saved.



No comments:

Post a Comment