Thursday, February 22, 2018

1 Peter 5:1-4, Psalm 23:1-3A, 4-6, Matthew 16:13-19

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

You are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church;
the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it. 
Mt. 16:18

1 Peter 5:1-4, Psalm 23:1-3A, 4-6, Matthew 16:13-19

Feast of the Chair of Saint Peter, Apostle

1 Peter 5:1-4

Dear Love, Beloved of my soul,

Today the Church celebrates the feast of the primacy of St. Peter, chief of the Apostles. It was he whom You chose from among the twelve, You set him apart not to lord it over the rest but because he and those who were appointed after him would be Your representative on earth. You knew that we would need one in authority but who would also know that he was to be one who served. You gave Peter the charism of binding and losing and in all matters concerning faith and morals we are to listen to him and be guided by him. You did not choose one who was sinless, for no man is but One. You chose one who had all our weaknesses and because of them he would understand that we are all saved by grace. 

Thank You for the gift of the primacy of our popes Lord because of it the Church is held in unity and is one with the Triune God. You dwell in fullness in the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church. You are its Head we are Your body. You are the Bridegroom of the Church, we are Your bride. It is You who will present Your bride to the Father at the end of time without spot or wrinkle.

Thank You Beloved of my soul and my Bridegroom.

Psalm 23:1-3A, 4-6

Dear Love, Beloved of my soul,

You are my Shepherd, there is absolutely nothing I need or want for You are my Provider. You are the One who cares for me. You lead me to pasture when I am hungry, when I am thirsty You give me water to drink. When I am weary You give me rest. When I am wounded, discouraged, unable to make any progress on my own, You lift me up and place me on Your shoulder, You carry me in Your arms, You press me comfortingly and consolingly against Your Sacred Heart. 

I need nothing Beloved, I want nothing. I entrust all that I am, I entrust all the people in my life whom I love so dearly to You, I entrust all that I have into Your hands for I know that I can safely rest in You; confident that I can do all things, I can endure all things, I can strive for all things, because You are with me and Your Spirit is alive in me.

Matthew 16:13-19

Dear Love, Beloved of my soul,

Thank you for the Church You founded with Peter at its head. Thank You for not leaving us orphaned but for sending Your Holy Spirit upon the nascent Church and for Your Mother who was present at the time in the Cenacle. Thank You for making provision for Your bride after You ascended to Your Father but ensuring Your enduring Presence among us in the Holy Eucharist. Thank You for giving us a sure assurance that the Keys to Kingdom of Heaven rest with Peter and those who come after him - and we can be certain that we will not be lead astray if we are obedient to the See of Peter in all matters pertaining to faith and morals.

Thank You for choosing Peter, one as frail as we are, it encourages us to believe that there is hope for us all. You knew that of the twelve Peter was Your Father's choice to head the Church after Your Ascension into heaven because His response to Your question, 

"Who do you say that I am?" His response was, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." And You said in reply, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah. For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father. And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys to the Kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven." 

This is why the Church celebrates this Feast that she will always keep alive in the memory of the faithful of the authority You have given to Peter.  Keep us one with him always Beloved, and give us the wisdom to know that our very unity depends on us being obedient to him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment