Monday, January 22, 2018

2 Samuel 5:1-7, 10, Psalm 89:20-22, 25-26, Mark 3:22-30

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

Our Savior Jesus Christ has destroyed death
and brought life to light through the Gospel. 2 Tim 1:10


2 Samuel 5:1-7, 10, Psalm 89:20-22, 25-26, 
Mark 3:22-30


2 Samuel 5:1-7, 10

Dear Love, Beloved of my soul,

David was a man like all men. From being a shepherd of his father's flock he was chosen by God and anointed by Him as king through the prophet Samuel and later by the people. Under his rule the people of God in Israel were united and he reigned successfully, for not only was he God's chosen, but more importantly God was with him. 

In the life of David we see a foreshadow of the true Prince of Peace, the Shepherd of the people of God, the anointed of God, the one who unifies all people and makes them one. Only in this instance God becomes a man and is like us in all things save sin. The Enemy is powerless before You just as the Jebusites were powerless against David. Zion was the city of David. The Universe and all in it belongs to You and You reign as the King of Kings, Lord of Lords, and God of all that is, was, and ever shall be. Your Kingship is everlasting.

Psalm 89:20-22, 25-26

Once you spoke in a vision,
and to your faithful ones you said:
“On a champion I have placed a crown;
over the people I have set a youth.”
R. My faithfulness and my mercy shall be with him.
“I have found David, my servant;
with my holy oil I have anointed him,
That my hand may be always with him,
and that my arm may make him strong.”
R. My faithfulness and my mercy shall be with him.
“My faithfulness and my mercy shall be with him,
and through my name shall his horn be exalted.
I will set his hand upon the sea,

his right hand upon the rivers.”

Dear Love, Beloved of my soul,

Great things are said of David but he died and is buried just as all flesh dies and becomes as dust. However, all that was attributed to him is more rightly said of You for all the praises that were sung of him were in fact prophesies of a King who was to come. The Sun of Justice. The Son of God. Anointed by the Holy Spirit to bring about the reign of God upon the earth and to win for God all peoples, and all nations of every race and language. In You the power of God and the wisdom of God are made manifest. In You the love of God and His faithfulness and mercy flow upon us as streams of living water. To You the Father has given all authority and at Your Name Beloved, every knee shall bow and every tongue will confess to the glory of God that You indeed are Lord. There is no other Name by which we are saved but the Name that is every other. 

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Mark 3:22-30

Dear Love, Beloved of my soul,

It was clear to everyone who ever saw You, heard You teach, witnessed Your miracles over life, nature, and the supernatural that You were indeed God and from God. They believed when You said, "I AM". But those who opposed You, the Scribes, the Pharisees, those with religious authority were determined to keep the status quo where all power rested with them. They lauded it over the poor and the ignorant. They ruled rigidly and kept people bound and restricted with their interpretation of the law. This is why they attributed Your power to the devil. 

The works You did were clearly of God. The blind could see, the deaf hear, the lame could walk, the dead were raised to life and the people believed. This is what struck fear in the heart of Herod and the religious authorities. They preferred the lies rather than the truth that God had come among us and walked with us. 

It is no different today Beloved. Christians are persecuted and harassed because Your power continues to work powerfully in us and the wicked continue to be threatened by Your goodness, kindness, gentleness, mercy, and power that is made visible in those who truly believe.   


No comments:

Post a Comment